Senior ASIC Design EngineerJob ID 2157 Date posted 07/29/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
We seek an experienced Senior ASIC Design Engineer to be a leading ASIC designer on our team. In this role, you will design, develop and build analog, digital and mixed-mode application specific integrated circuits for instruments developed for BNL and our institutional partners. You will collaborate with a diverse, multi-disciplinary group of scientists, engineers and other technical team members on our ASIC team, in our Instrumentation Division and across the entire BNL community.
Our science and engineering challenges are complex and unique! We are engaged in the development of ASICs for particle detectors, high resolution X- and gamma-ray spectrometers, and high-rate photon counters and imagers. Our ASIC’s work is in extreme environments of cryogenic temperatures or withstanding extreme irradiation doses. Quantum Information Science, Machine Learning and Neuromorphic processing are where our R&D efforts go. The application and implementation of our hardware is within BNL and other international user facilities. Your work has the potential to shape the instruments for scientific discovery and engineering advancements across the globe!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform lead role in carrying-out design of analog, digital or mixed-mode (i.e. analog-digital) ASICs for instruments developed by BNL’s Instrumentation Division
- Develop design specifications based on theoretical analyses and in conjunction with application needs and carry out complex and independent design task, including oversight of efforts of team members
- Design circuit networks, using schematic entry and layout tools with full-custom or timing-driven layout tools in Cadence or similar CAD/EDA environment
- Develop models of circuit networks and system components in hardware description languages specific for analog or digital modeling (Verilog-A and Verilog/SystemVerilog)
- Build analog or digital test-benches and carry-out mixed analog and digital circuit simulations
- Execute physical and functional circuit and system verification
- Lead project documentation, test-board designs and laboratory testing
- Engage in codesigning of ASICs and sensors with Technology CAD tools, developing ideas in appealing directions in machine learning, artificial intelligence, quantum science and others
- Construct new project initiatives and develop proposals, making use of emerging technologies
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, physical sciences discipline or closely related field of study
- Minimum seven (7) years progressively responsible related work experience
- Familiarity with specificity of ASIC design processes and flows
- Familiarity with CAD/EDA tools for ASIC design and their interoperability
- Ability to work with group members in a multi-user process and design managed environment, and step up to challenges
- Readiness for working on challenging projects that may have tight schedules
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree (MSc or PhD) in an engineering, physical sciences discipline or closely related field of study
- Knowledge of readout integrated circuits for radiation sensors, including signal processing, signal filtering, signal conversion, data transmission, high speed electronics,
- Sound background of solid-state circuits and integrated circuit design
- Ability to execute analog and/or digital ASIC design flows for performing design tasks
- Knowledge of front-end and back-end ASIC design elements, such as layout, physical verification, and design verification
- Ability of working with SKILL, Tcl/Tk, ASSURA and Calibre DRC/LVS verification decks syntax as well as operating system shell scripting or other scripting languages, such as Pearl, Python,
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills and experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now