Security Specialist for Secure OperationsJob ID 3668 Date posted 03/17/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Laboratory Protection Division has a full-time opportunity for a Security Specialist to support secure operations in the roles of Document Custodian, Information System Security Officer, and Communications Security Custodian. These roles encompass administrative support to manage physical and cyber security and compliance with procedures to protect classified matter, secure video, telecommunications, computing, and meeting space. In this role, you will act with minimal supervision in a leadership role to protect the assets, support the users of the secure facility and assist them to comply with security procedures. You will demonstrate aptitude, motivation, and administrative skills as well as the right temperament to work in a highly consequential regulated environment with high-level users of the secure assets.
The Laboratory Protection Division is seeking to hire a Security Specialist to provide support in the Information Security Program under the Security Operations Group. This individual will be responsible for compliance with requirements for the operation of secure workspace, Document Custodian duties, and related systems in the Vault Type Room (VTR) to support BNL’s classified programs. This includes the Classified Document Room, secure communication system, secure computing, and secure meeting space. Serves as Information System Security Officer and manages access, security systems, plans and procedures for communications, computing, training, operational oversight and meetings. Addresses requirements for control systems and accountability for storing, reproducing, destroying and transmitting classified documents. Serves as derivative classifier.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight of a secure facility.
- Manage the classified holdings stored in the secure area.
- Support and provide operational oversight of the users of secure assets and assist them with their programmatic needs.
- As Document Custodian, ensure all matters have proper security markings, are stored properly, and are issued only to persons with appropriate access authorization, receives and stores classified matter sent to the Laboratory and sends classified matter to destinations outside the Laboratory, and properly destroys classified matter when no longer needed.
- As Information System Security Officer work with the Classified System Administer to maintain secure computers and peripherals, compose secure plans for new or renewed information systems, and facilitate access by the users.
- As Communications Security Custodian, manage the secure video and telecommunication devices and facilitate access by the users.
- Participate in security audits and oversight by responding to requests for data that demonstrate compliance with facility procedures, activities by the users, chain of custody for receipt, storage, and use of classified matter. In the event of an incident of security concern provide data and participate in the investigation and implement prescribed corrective actions.
- Assist with security planning to include maintenance and updating of the Site Security Plan.
- Present training to Laboratory personnel to facilitate their performance of required functions.
- Prepare for and support inventories and audits.
- Develop and maintain security protection plans and procedures.
- Control access to the facility.
- Establish and review security related training materials annually for personnel with Access Authorization.
- Maintain visitor logs for both the PPA & VTR.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related business field or equivalent experience, based on 2:1 (experience: college/Military) years.
- A minimum of four (4) years related work experience showing progressively more complex responsibilities in a substantive and relevant administrative role which provides evidence of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform successfully the duties of the position. Additional education in fields specifically related to the position requirements may offset qualifying experience.
- Candidate must obtain and maintain a DOE “Q” clearance (To obtain DOE "Q" Clearance, U.S. Citizenship is required).
- Ability to be proactive and demonstrate leadership to ensure users of the secure area comply with the full spectrum of security procedures.
- The ability to prepare professional reports and develop program materials and plans, make recurring, formal presentations and provide effective training in security concepts to varied and diverse laboratory audiences, including senior management.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Ability to travel domestically for training.
- Excellent working knowledge of electronics, computer systems, mobile devices.
- Ability to provide guidance regarding security measures and requirements based on applicable physical and technical security standards.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing, with all levels of management, employees, guests, and representatives of regulatory agencies is required. Ability to work independently and exercise a high degree of discretion and judgment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Knowledge of DOE O 471.6 Information Security.
- Training in the implementation of classified programs, policies, and procedures.
- Completion of the following training courses COMSEC, CMPC, TSCM, TEMPEST, Derivative Classifier and TACLANE.
- Experience with analytical problem solving and presenting.
- Experience working in a national security program, and associated policies, and procedure
- This position is subject to 24 hour on-call in the event of any emergency and may require irregular work hours.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Relocation and housing cost will not be offered for this position.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.