Scientist Group LeaderJob ID 2753 Date posted 08/10/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings premier facilities and expertise to the most exciting and meaningful questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate state-of-the-art large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. Brookhaven Lab employs nearly 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff, and engages more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world each year. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale. Brookhaven Science Associates, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization, operates Brookhaven Lab for the U.S Department of Energy.
The Center for Functional Nanomaterials (CFN) at Brookhaven is a DOE-funded national scientific user facility, offering users a supported research experience with top-caliber scientists and access to state-of-the-art instrumentation. The CFN mission is advancing nanoscience through frontier fundamental research and technique development and is the nexus of a broad collaboration network. Each year, CFN staff members support the research of nearly 600 external facility users.
Three strategic nanoscience themes underlie the CFN scientific facilities: The CFN conducts research on Nanomaterial Synthesis by Assembly, designing precise architectures with targeted functionality by organizing nanoscale components. The CFN researches and applies platforms for state-of-the-art techniques for Accelerated Nanomaterial Discovery, integrating synthesis, advanced characterization, physical modeling, and computer science to iteratively explore a wide range of material parameters. The CFN develops and utilizes advanced capabilities for studies of Nanomaterials in Operando Conditions for characterizing materials and reactions at the atomic scale in real-world environments.
The CFN is searching for an accomplished scientist to lead the Theory and Computation group. The group is composed of four permanent, scientific staff members with diverse areas of expertise, which enables robust engagement across the scope of CFN strategic research directions including several initiatives based on machine learning methods. The Theory and Computation Group is one of five scientific groups in the CFN. The group supports a mid-scale high performance computing facility that is part of the Brookhaven Scientific Data and Computation Center and is a stakeholder in strategic planning for the facility, purchasing decisions, and technical development.
The Theory and Computation Group Leader will also carry out impactful nanoscience research of their own, publishing papers, giving external presentations, and having a strong and visible presence in the scientific community.
As a member of the CFN leadership team, the Theory and Computation Group Leader is responsible for articulating and motivating compelling new directions and guiding the group while building on existing strengths. The Group Leader manages resources within the group and oversees hiring of postdoctoral researchers and students. They work together with the CFN leadership team to make strategic decisions about CFN research and facility development directions.
The role of physical theory in connecting to nanoscience experiments is an important aspect of the research program carried out by CFN staff and users. With data analytics and data science presenting clear opportunities to enhance the science of facility users, the Theory and Computation Group Leader should have a vision for putting data analytics to work for physical science research.
Roles and Responsibilities
As the CFN Group Leader for Theory and Computation, you will have these roles and responsibilities:
- You will provide scientific and technical leadership for the Theory and Computation Group, guiding scientific directions, the development of new techniques, and the deployment of data and computing facilities.
- You will carry out impactful nanoscience research of your own, publishing papers and giving external presentations on your work.
- You will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Theory and Computation Group, advising members in their research and support for users.
- You will oversee the CFN stakeholder position in the BNL Scientific Data and Computation Center, representing CFN needs for future facility development and smooth operations for staff and users.
- Working with group members, you will manage the Theory and Computation facility user program, including user proposal reviews, allocations, and scheduling.
- You will be an active member of research communities pertinent to theory and computation as well as nanoscience, attending conferences and workshops to promote CFN facilities and engage potential new users.
- You will participate with the CFN leadership team in making strategic decisions about CFN research and facility development directions.
- You will provide written technical inputs to recurring CFN performance reviews and strategy documents, and orally present the Theory and Computation group accomplishments during reviews.
- You will mentor the Theory and Computation group staff members and foster their professional development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
You are qualified for this Group Leader position if:
- You have earned a Ph.D. degree in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, or a suitable Engineering discipline, and at least seven years of experience after earning the Ph.D. degree;
- You have conducted high-impact research and published papers using physical theory and computational methods to understand the properties and performance of nanomaterials;
- You have experience supervising other scientists;
- You are an established and engaged member of the research community and regularly present your research at conferences and workshops;
- You are committed to working safely and fostering an environment of safe-work practices.
Preferred background and experience
You are well-matched to this position if:
- You have led a nanoscience research program that uses physical theory and computation, and a record of world-class accomplishments;
- You can communicate, verbally and in writing, a compelling vision for the role of theory and computation in advancing nanomaterial discoveries;
- You collaborate effectively in interdisciplinary teams, in both leadership and supporting roles;
- You are interested in fostering the professional development of other scientists;
- You understand the role of scientific user facilities and are interested in facilitating the research of CFN users.
At Brookhaven Lab, we believe comprehensive employee benefits are a meaningful part of employee compensation. Our benefits program includes:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- On site swimming pool, weight room tennis courts, and other employee benefits
We invite you to consider working at Brookhaven Lab. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that you receive full consideration for employment. No one will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now