Scientific Software DeveloperJob ID 2020 Date posted 01/17/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Data Acquisition, Management and Analysis Group is to provide support and expertise to meet the scientific computing needs of the NSLS-II beamlines.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is seeking an experienced scientific software developer to join the Scientific Computing & Data Acquisition, Data Management, Data Analysis Group. This position is needed to support the development and maintenance of a software infrastructure for data acquisition, management and analysis to support the scientific mission of NSLS-II.
The position classification offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s depth and breadth of experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The successful candidate will work with a team of scientists and engineers to lead in the design, development, and maintenance of reliable software for data acquisition, management and analysis.
- Collaborate with scientists and software engineers to define and implement the best strategies and approaches in data acquisition, scientific data handling, management, visualization, and analysis.
- Collaborate with staff and facility user scientists to develop new computational approaches and methods to extract maximum scientific information from experimental data.
- Provide support for users in data collection methods and data analysis
- Provide documentation, training and support for software.
- Assist DAMA Group Leader with Project Management and Supervision/Line Management duties.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science. Physical Sciences, Applied Mathematics or related field
- Several years of relevant experience.
- Ability to employ sound software engineering methodologies.
- Demonstrated record in collaborative software development.
- Demonstrated experience in multiple programming languages, including Python and C/C++.
- An up-to-date knowledge in related scientific data collection, data management, and data analysis concepts.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills to be able to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in scientific computing or data management at a synchrotron light source, neutron source or other major scientific user facility.
- Experience in user interface development.
- Experience working with messaging and distributed systems
- Experience working with NoSQL and/or Relational databases
- Experience contributing to open source software projects.
- Experience in project management of scientific and collaborative software projects
- Line Management and Supervisory experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now