Scientific Researcher - Data Acquisition SystemsJob ID 2258 Date posted 10/19/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
Data acquisitions systems are key components of the systems being developed in Brookhaven National Lab’s Instrumentation Division. Modern detectors produce increasingly higher data rates and require complex data handling and management. This is achieved by a careful consideration of information density and power trade-offs and it is implemented through a combination of dedicated front-end circuitry, Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs), Data Acquisition (DAQ), commodity computing and storage system. The variety and complexity associated with this development require diverse teams working in close contact with the experimenters.
We are seeking a Scientific Associate with a keen interest and some experience in FPGAs and/or Data Acquisition Systems. You will join our growing DAQ team and work in close collaboration with other departments across the Laboratory. The ideal candidate will possess basic knowledge and skills in coding, synthesis, timing analysis, simulation, verification and lab test and debug.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Working on our team, you will:
- Conduct and support the research, design and development of data acquisition systems
- Participate as part of a collaborative team with other departments across the laboratory
- Perform and participate in testing and measurements at the laboratory and at experiment sites
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or equivalent discipline
- Three years' related work experience
- Understanding of FPGA design using the latest generation Xilinx/Altera, HDL coding using VHDL and/or Verilog and high-speed transceiver design (GTP/GTX/GTH)
- Programming experience using C/C++ or Python in Windows or Linux
- Familiarity with standard communication protocols (PCIe, 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet, USB, DDR, AXI)
- Good problem-solving skills
- Solid verbal and written communication skills. Ability to articulate and present ideas
- Ability to work independently, with a team, and in large collaborations
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master's degree in related discipline
- Printed Circuit Board schematic capture and layout experience
- Experience with hardware circuit design including ADCs, DACs, microprocessors, memories, linear/switching voltage regulators
- Experience supporting scientific research programs
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now