Scientific RecruiterJob ID 1342 Date posted 06/13/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Scientific Recruiter/Principal Talent Acquisition Specialist (A-8)
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research.
The Human Resources Directorate oversees talent acquisition for scientific and non-scientific hiring, talent management, benefits, labor relations, compensation, inclusion and diversity, occupational medicine, and the guests and users visitors’ center. The Human Resources Directorate is seeking a dynamic Scientific Talent Acquisition Specialist to join our team of dedicated HR professionals.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide full cycle talent acquisition expertise to hiring managers at all levels of the organization in a high volume recruitment environment. This includes:
- Sourcing high quality and diverse scientific, engineering, technical and operations talent through traditional methods as well as innovative and creative strategies
- Reviewing and writing quality job specifications consistent with BNL’s classification standards
- Screening candidates using appropriate behavioral interviewing techniques
- Partnering with Human Resources Managers and hiring managers to develop offers in line with BNL’s compensation structure. Communicating and negotiating job offers.
- Ensure data integrity within the Applicant Tracking System and other sourcing/outreach systems.
- Partner with Talent Acquisition Management, Diversity Office, Human Resources Managers and hiring managers within a matrix environment to understand the needs of the Laboratory and develop recruitment strategies to support current hiring and future growth.
- Partner with, and educate, hiring managers on best practices and innovation in recruitment and selection to ensure high quality hires.
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships by delivering on commitments and demonstrating distinguished level of customer service on all recruitment assignments.
- Successfully develop an extensive internal and external network of contacts within the local, national and research and development job markets.
- Responsible for outreach efforts which may include attending local and national job fairs, university outreach or participating in professional societies.
- Champion an inclusion and diversity agenda through recruiting and onboarding process.
- Represent Talent Acquisition and / or serve as a project manager on specific initiatives related to recruitment, such as continuous improvement projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in scientific discipline, business or related field or equivalent years of experience based as 2:1 (experience / college) with a minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience, five (5) of which should include contemporary full-cycle recruitment. Recruitment experience must include successfully hiring diverse talent such as scientific, engineering, and other technical staff.
- Ability to execute full cycle recruiting, including, but not limited to preparing job descriptions, sourcing candidates, screening candidates and negotiating offers.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating diverse, highly qualified applicant pools.
- Experience with developing a variety of recruitment strategies, using technology and traditional techniques.
- Experience working with applicant tracking databases and monitoring recruitment metrics.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively partner and collaborate with key stakeholders (e.g., external agencies, hiring managers, HR managers, and peers).
- Ability to simultaneously progress a variety of active requisitions to successful closure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff.
- Strong work planning, time‐management, organization, and prioritization skills are essential to handle competing priorities.
- Advanced proficiency in MicroSoft Office including MS Word, Outlook, and Excel.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Advanced degree in a scientific discipline
Experience in diversity and EEO field
Experience working with current OFCCP compliance requirements
Demonstrated ability to lead projects
Some domestic travel required.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
Paid Parental Leave
Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor