Scientific Associate -- ASIC Design & Development (Entry Level)Job ID 2261 Date posted 08/13/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
We seek a Scientific Associate to join our ASIC R&D team in our Instrumentation Division. In this role, you will work closely with the team, in guided work, to research, design, develop and build analog, digital and mixed-mode application specific integrated circuits for instruments developed for BNL and our institutional partners.
Our science and engineering challenges are complex and unique! We are engaged in the development of ASICs for particle detectors, high resolution X- and gamma-ray spectrometers, and high-rate photon counters and imagers. Our ASIC’s work is in extreme environments of cryogenic temperatures or withstanding extreme irradiation doses. Quantum Information Science, Machine Learning and Neuromorphic processing are where our R&D efforts go. The application and implementation of our hardware is within BNL and other international user facilities. Your work has the potential to shape the instruments for scientific discovery and engineering advancements across the globe!
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
This is a two-year term position with the possibility of an extension.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the guidance of more experienced R&D scientific staff, you will:
- Assist in the research and design of analog, digital or mixed-mode (i.e. analog-digital) ASICs for instruments developed by BNL’s Instrumentation Division
- Collaborate with R&D staff to develop models of circuit networks and system components
- Assist in the development of analog or digital test-benches and carrying-out mixed analog and digital circuit simulations in support of research experiments
- Execute first-level physical and functional circuit and system verification
- Support the research and development of design specifications based on theoretical analyses and in conjunction with application needs
- Participate in test-board designs and laboratory testing for diverse experiments
- Support the development of documentation, test procedures and deployment of scientific instruments of ASICs
- Participate in codesigning of ASICs and sensors with Technology CAD tools, collaborating, researching and brainstorming ideas for progression in machine learning, artificial intelligence, quantum science
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- Some familiarity with specificity of ASIC design processes and flows
- Knowledge of CAD/EDA tools for ASIC design
- Ability to work with diverse research and development group members
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of readout integrated circuits for radiation sensors, including signal processing, signal filtering, signal conversion, data transmission, high speed electronics
- Knowledge of SKILL, Tcl/Tk, ASSURA and/or Calibre DRC/LVS verification decks syntax as well as operating system shell scripting or other scripting languages (e.g. Pearl, Python)
- Knowledge of front-end and back-end ASIC design elements, such as layout, physical verification, and design verification
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now