Rigger/Master Rigger (Reposting)Job ID 2703 Date posted 08/18/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the relocation of heavy machinery/equipment by attaching rigging to move, lift and/or hoist with cranes and/or forklifts; controlling movement of heavy equipment through narrow openings or confined spaces, using chain falls, pallet jacks, vault jacks, air mats or other equipment; dismantling, inspecting and storing rigging equipment after use.
- Expected to signal or verbally direct workers engaged in hoisting and moving loads, in order to ensure safety of workers and materials; use hand signals and other means to direct crane operators and help guide the objects into place; and tilt and turn suspended loads to maneuver over, under or around obstacles, using multi-point suspension techniques.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School or GED, or higher with courses in advanced math
- A minimum of five (5) years documented prior rigging experience
- Must have knowledge of rigging tools, their capacities and their limitations, in every lifting operation from routine to complex, and the ability to assess and implement proper rigging techniques used while moving or transporting an object of substantial weight or fragile composition.
- Must possess a valid Class A CDL NYS driver's license with air brake and tank (N) and hazmat (H) Endorsement and/or the ability to secure a valid Class A CDL NYS driver's license with air brake and tank (N) and hazmat (H) Endorsement within the first 90 days of hire date.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Rigger certification from a recognized and accredited rigger certification program such as the National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO).
• Must meet the medical requirements of the “Job Assessment Form"
• Must have a telephone and must provide the number to BNL for callout and contact purposes
• Must possess written and verbal skills.
• Must be capable of following written instruction procedures, work orders, and similar documents.
• Must possess the writing skills to sufficiently complete work orders and other required documents
• Must be able to communicate verballywith customers, fellow workers, and supervisors
• Must have had a verifiable “acceptable leave record” in prior employment
• Must be able to complete all the requirements of the Job Training Assessment
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
• Standing, bending and lifting
• Ability to do heavy lifting > 30 lbs.
• Ability to do moderate lifting < 30 lbs.
• Ability to work in confined spaces
• Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders
• Work outdoors/cold environments
• Work in warm environments
• Moving machinery
• Use of powered and air operated hand-tools
• Operates fork trucks
• Use of a respirator and other related safety equipment
• Physical coordination dexterity and balance
• Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoes and hearing protection
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now