Research EngineerJob ID 2682 Date posted 06/25/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The Accelerator Test Facility (ATF) is the DOE Office of Science User Facility for the Accelerator Stewardship Program. It provides users with high brightness electron beams, near-infrared (NIR) and long-wave infrared (LWIR) laser beams, and an ultrafast electron diffraction (UED) facility. User proposals are reviewed by the ATF Program Advisory Committee and meritorious proposals that advance the science or technology of accelerators and lasers are granted beam time. For additional information, please visit:
The selected candidate will be performing the following functions:
- Write data collection and optimization code/scripts based on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) tools and algorithms.
- Perform simulations of virtual instruments/beamlines.
- Analyze the collected data and control streams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Integration of simulation codes with Bluesky data acquisition framework (https://blueskyproject.io)
- Virtual representation of the instruments/beamlines for the simulation codes
- Adopt the NSLS-II TES beamline input (control system, EPS, ring BPMs, etc.) and output (control system) flows into ML optimizer (with Bluesky and Databroker libraries)
- Adopt the ATF control system input and output flows into ML optimizer (with Bluesky and Databroker)
- Develop optimization software and train AI/ML models
- Benchmark to the AI/ML models and their results
- Deploy AI/ML optimization infrastructure
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computational Physics or related field.
- Knowledge of the Python programming language.
- Demonstrated experience with ML libraries (scikit-learn, pytorch, and/or tensorflow).
- Fluent in the Linux operating system and shell scripting.
- Work productively and efficiently in a team environment.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (knowledge or experience in one or more of the following):
- Master’s degree and at least three years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of beam and synchrotron physics and dynamics.
- Knowledge and experience with hardware control (EPICS or other control systems).
- HPC and supercomputer environments.
- Knowledge of the domain-specific simulation packages and tools (examples: SRW, XRT, Elegant, Bmad, and/or Sirepo).
- Demonstrated contributions to open-source projects.
- Publications in relevant fields.
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience.
- The position is a two year term appointment.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now