Research Engineer X-ray Detector DevelopmentJob ID 2624 Date posted 07/15/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The mission of the Photon Science Detector Development team is to develop state-of-the-art novel radiation detectors and instrumentation required for experimental research programs at the NSLS-II and similar facilities around the world. The team has an opening for a Research Engineer to provide support to the team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the assembly and test of radiation detectors and instrumentation.
- Support existing detector systems in the field.
- Communicate directly with scientists and engineers to provide critical feedback relating to prototype assembly.
- Partner with scientists and engineers in designing or updating of prototype designs.
- Collaborate with scientists and engineers in developing the design process.
- May coordinate the work efforts of other technical support assigned to a specific project.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related discipline.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with electronic and mechanical design software packages.
- The ability to work from electronic schematics and mechanical drawings.
- Good problem-solving skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (one or more of the following):
- Programming experience using C/C++ or Python in Linux or Windows.
- Understanding of FPGA design using the latest generation Xilinx/Altera, HDL coding using VHDL and/or Verilog.
- Basic machine shop skills.
- Knowledge of vacuum equipment.
- Knowledge of cryogenic equipment.
- Mechanical design experience.
- Beamline operation and data taking experience.
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now