Research Engineer X-ray Detector Data AcquisitionJob ID 2625 Date posted 08/30/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
We are seeking a Scientific Associate with a keen interest and some experience in FPGAs and/or Data Acquisition Systems. You will join our team and work in close collaboration with other groups both within NSLS-II and in other departments across the Laboratory. You will possess basic knowledge and skills in coding, synthesis, timing analysis, simulation, verification and lab test and debug.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct and support the research, design and development of data acquisition systems
- Participate as part of a collaborative team with other departments across the laboratory
- Perform and participate in testing and measurements at the laboratory and at experiment sites
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related discipline
- Understanding of FPGA design using the latest generation Xilinx/Altera, HDL coding using VHDL and/or Verilog and high-speed transceiver design (GTP/GTX/GTH)
- Programming experience using C/C++ or Python in Windows or Linux
- Familiarity with standard communication protocols (PCIe, 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet, USB, DDR, AXI)
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to present ideas
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently, with a team, and in large collaborations
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (at least one or more of the following):
- Three years' relevant experience
- Master's degree in related discipline
- Printed Circuit Board schematic capture and layout experience
- Experience with hardware circuit design including ADCs, DACs, microprocessors, memories, linear/switching voltage regulators
- Experience supporting scientific research programs
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now