Research Associate - PHENIXJob ID 2186 Date posted 06/01/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
A primary research focus of the Brookhaven Physics Department is the exploration of hot and cold QCD using the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC). The PHENIX Group in the BNL Physics Department has long played a major role within the PHENIX experiment at RHIC, which was decommissioned in 2016, both on operations and physics analysis. Since 2016, the group remains highly active in the production of physics results, shown at major conferences worldwide, with particular focus on spin physics, heavy flavor, direct photons and two-particle correlations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform physics analysis using PHENIX data, using innovative techniques for photon reconstruction, dilepton measurements, or heavy flavor yield extraction, to achieve insightful results to further our understanding of the quark gluon plasma
- Collaborate with PHENIX scientists on publishing research findings in leading journals
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Particle or Nuclear Physics
- Experience with data analysis techniques
- Experience in experimental particle and high-energy nuclear physics
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge in C++, ROOT, and GEANT programming
OTHER INFORM R ATION: (add if applicable)
- Requires travel, including foreign travel
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now