Research Associate Materials ScienceJob ID 1760 Date posted 05/29/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The CFN is a DOE-funded national scientific user facility, offering users a supported research experience with top-caliber scientists and access to state-of-the-art instrumentation. The CFN mission is advancing nanoscience through frontier fundamental research and technique development, and is the nexus of a broad collaboration network. Each year, CFN staff members support the research of more than 550 external facility users.
Three strategic nanoscience themes underlie the CFN scientific facilities: The CFN fosters research on complex self-assembly processes, for building new ways of constructing Self-Assembled Nanomaterials by Design. The CFN supports state-of-the-art techniques for designing Nano-Architectures to improve the performance of materials. The CFN develops and provides advanced capabilities for studies of Nanomaterials in Operando Conditions, for characterizing materials and reactions at the atomic scale in real-world environments.
The CFN is seeking an exceptional Postdoctoral Research Associate to lead research on a new project creating nanoscience-based materials for next-generation quantum information science (QIS). You will participate in fundamental materials science investigations of nanostructured metal silicides as QIS materials, working with CFN scientists Charles Black and Mingzhao Liu.
You are qualified for this Research Associate position if:
- You earned a Ph.D. in an appropriate discipline (Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or Electrical Engineering) within the past five years.
- You are experienced with nanofabrication (cleanroom), including metal deposition, lithography (electron-beam lithography and photolithography), and etching.
- You have characterized materials using electrical transport measurements and electron microscopy.
- You possess excellent written and oral communication skills, be self-motivated and able to work both independently and as a part of a team.
- You have the ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists and technical staff.
You are well-matched to this position if:
- You work effectively in a collaborative team to tackle challenging scientific problems;
- You can work independently within the team;
- You communicate effectively, both verbally and also through writing;
- You have a solid knowledge of superconductivity;
- You have performed high-resolution transmission electron microscopy and analysis;
- You have experience with X-ray spectroscopy techniques.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven Lab, we believe comprehensive employee benefits are a meaningful part of employee compensation. Our benefits program includes:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- On site swimming pool, weight room tennis courts, and other employee benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file