Radiological Control TechnicianJob ID 2002 Date posted 01/14/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Maintaining and protecting the radiological safety and health of BNL employees, the public and the environment is our mission. Our professionals and technicians are certified and provide expertise in support of the overall BNL mission by use of field deployed Facility Support personnel, an accredited Personnel Monitoring service, a fully functional Instrumentation & Calibration facility, expertise in Radiological Engineering and the handling of Isotopes and Special Nuclear Materials.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide field support to the Department/Organization where they are assigned with primary emphasis in Health Physics and radiological protection.
- Will perform radiological surveys for areas and release of materials;
- Issue TLDs and review TLD exposure results, perform radiation exposure investigations
- Evaluate radiological work, assist in the development of radiological work permits and implement controls consistent with As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA) principles and practices;
- Provide industrial hygiene and industrial safety support by monitoring work activities for adherence to BNL and Occupational Safety and Health standards.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate’s degree in a related scientific or engineering field
- A minimum six years of experience as a senior RCT in commercial nuclear or DOE radiation protection work activities.
- Must meet the minimum qualifications specified in DOE-STD-1107-97, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Radiation Protection Positions at DOE Facilities, successfully completed the Department of Energy (DOE) radiological control standardized core requirements and is or previously qualified as a RCT.
- Must also possess current 40-hour HAZWOPER training or be capable of passing HAZWOPER training;
- Be respirator qualified or capable of obtaining respirator qualifications.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologist (NRRPT)
Must have previous working experience in a radiological environment to include working in contamination and/or airborne radioactivity areas requiring the use of full personnel protective equipment (PPE) and respiratory protection.
- Moderate lifting (less than 30 lbs.)
- Alertness, Hearing alarms, understanding speech and speaking / communication
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now