Quantum Computing ScientistJob ID 2997 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven Lab's Computational Science Initiative, known as CSI, excels at integrating computer science, applied mathematics, and computational science with broad domain expertise to tackle problems and advance knowledge impacting scientific discovery.
CSI has long focused on timely analysis and interpretation of high-volume, high-velocity heterogeneous data, providing solutions for the national and international scientific community. These efforts now are being augmented by CSI's growing high-performance computing capabilities.
We have an opening for a Scientist to perform original research in Quantum Computing and Quantum Information Science. The successful candidate is expected to work closely with quantum computing researchers at BNL and in the larger community on exciting scientific projects of interest to DOE and other Federal Agencies. Through modeling, simulation, and analysis of experimental data, the successful candidates will perform research with an emphasis on: development and optimization of quantum qubit technologies, modeling of qubit materials, general purpose software tools that can enhance the usability of quantum computers for scientific domains, and data-driven optimal design of experiments for qubit technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and carry out original research in quantum technologies with an emphasis on modeling and experiment analysis for qubits utilizing superconductive circuits, and silicon devices.
- Develop, implement and utilize data-driven approaches for optimal design of experiments on qubit technologies.
- Develop proficiency with using quantum computing platforms and/or simulators.
- Participate in projects using modeling and simulation techniques and tools for this area of research and developing new and improved capabilities of such.
- Collaborate with scientists within and outside of Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Develop research ideas into actionable research strategies and programs.
- Present research progress and outcome at internal meetings, external conferences and workshops.
- Publish research findings in peer-reviewed journals or conference proceedings.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Physics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or related field and at least 2 years post PhD experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Quantum Computing and/or Quantum Information Science.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data analysis methods.
- Effective interpersonal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment with researchers from different scientific disciplines.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with quantum device physics, modeling and technologies.
- Experience with qubit control and error mitigation.
- Experience with machine learning, natural language processing, and other data-driven approaches to scientific discovery.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now