Quality EngineerJob ID 3235 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Planning, Performance and Quality Management Office (PPQM) provides an enterprise-level perspective on planning and performance and provides a focal point for Laboratory contractor assurance activities. Within PPQM, the Quality Management Office (QMO) works with line organizations on developing and delivering programs, activities, and services that integrate quality assurance, environmental, and safety management principles throughout the Laboratory. Deployed Quality Representatives work closely with their assigned organizations to provide quality assurance functions tailored to the organization and serve as a liaison back to the QMO.
The Quality Management Office (QMO) at Brookhaven National Laboratory is seeking an energetic self-starter to join their team as a deployed Quality Representative.
As an engineer, you will apply standard quality assurance and quality control practices and techniques in specific aspects of design, procurement, manufacture, test, and initial operations that meet NQA-1 requirements. In this role, you will work with colleagues to support the development and implementation of quality assurance and quality control methods on projects and processes. Activities include planning, performing, and documenting assessments of processes against requirements; support the implementation of corrective action plans, analyzing performance data, performing supplier reviews and selections and incoming inspections, and developing and reviewing procedures.
The successful candidate will develop and maintain an Institutional NQA-1 Program as part of the Laboratory’s Nuclear Safety Program within the Environment, Safety & Health Directorate (ESH); and provide support the Medical Isotope Research and Production Group (MIRP) in meeting NQA-1 requirements.
The main program focus of the MIRP is to produce and distribute radioisotopes for industry, nuclear medicine research and clinical practice, and to develop radioisotopes for new applications in medicine and science. The group’s major facilities include the Brookhaven Linac Isotope Producer (BLIP) and a fully equipped hot laboratory with hot cells, radiochemistry research laboratories, and analytical equipment. The BLIP utilizes high intensity proton beams of up to 200 MeV. The MIRP group resides in the Collider-Accelerator Department.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement an Institutional NQA-1 compliant quality assurance program (QAP), including the implementation of a graded approach.
- Provide quality assurance support to the MIRP for safe and compliant operations in accordance with NQA-1 requirements.
- Plan and perform assessments to evaluate the health of the overall NQA-1 Program as well as external audits.
- Identify corrective actions and support the corrective action process.
- Participate in drawing reviews, design reviews, generation of technical specifications and statements of work, and the establishment of formal acceptance criteria.
- Assist technical staff with the creation of quality plans.
- Review/approve procurement specifications, statements of work, purchase requisitions, design specifications, drawings, engineering change requests, procedures, and other documents for incorporation of appropriate quality controls.
- Perform Vendor Qualification and Verification activities:
- Review vendor QA submittals
- Participate in vendor source selection boards
- Perform Quality Systems Surveys at vendor facilities (pre-award)
- Perform ongoing vendor surveillance activities (after production starts)
- Participate in inspection and vendor verifications
- Manage non-conformance and deviation requests
- Close-out QA issues relative to inspected and completed work
- Provide supplier oversight and inspection of fabricated items and assemblies to ensure conformance with established performance criteria, including NQA-1 requirements.
- Conduct / support material receiving inspection and acceptance testing and commercial grade dedication on safety related and non-safety related materials.
- Assist in implementation of nonconformance processing.
- Assist in the development of inspection plans and establishment of quality hold points. Follows-up on specified tests and inspections, and maintains the required documentation related to quality matters.
- Provide quality tools for various tasks, projects, procurements, work evolutions; provide assessments of work in progress, including document reviews against specifications.
- Participate on / lead causal analysis teams, including determination of preventive and/or corrective actions.
- Perform independent verification of corrective action implementation resulting from internal and external assessments, causal analysis, and surveillances.
- Identify and/or solves problems, assessing needs to achieve desired business results
- Create a culture of technical excellence, collaboration, inclusion, and diversity with focus toward the professional development of staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or scientific discipline.
- A minimum of Seven (7) years of progressively responsible related quality assurance experience implementing NQA-1 quality assurance programs.
- Knowledge and experience in validating implementation of quality assurance programs in nuclear facilities. Experience in the fabrication and testing requirements for components used in nuclear applications.
- NQA-1 Lead Auditor Certification.
- Strong analytical, and statistical skills, with attention to detail and precision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills required to interact with a diverse group of engineers, scientists, technical and management staff.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization, both individually as well as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Core skills include organizational and time management, ability to gather information and resourcefulness in resolving problems.
- Ability to work independently, have the desire and ability to learn new systems, make informed decisions and regularly exercise a high degree of discretion and judgement.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in engineering or scientific field.
- Knowledge of or training in specific quality standards or skills (e.g., cGMP, ANSI, ISO 9000).
- Experience as a causal analyst.
- Knowledge of or experience in software quality assurance.
- Familiarity with DOE O 413.B Project Management.
*Candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on breadth and depth of knowledge.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now