Programming Models and Compilers Computer ScientistJob ID 3302 Date posted 07/08/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is a scientific, extreme scale Data Laboratory in the U.S., New York State, Long Island. We have a lively, fast-growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation, and use of data at extreme scales and in real-time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis, and interpretation of both laboratory and computer simulation experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/) provides a laboratory-wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians, and domain scientists to carry out leading-edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science, and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation.
The Computational Science Initiative (CSI) is searching for a computer scientist to join the Programming Models and Compilers (PMC) group. The candidate will provide scientific contributions to an existing research team, carry out leading edge research and help develop new funding opportunities. The PMC group is composed of five scientific staff members with expertise in computer science, in particular programming models, and compilers. The PMC Group is one of three scientific groups in the Computer Science and Mathematics Department (the other two groups are Machine Learning and Applied Math).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists leadership with oversight of the Programming Models and Compilers (PMC) group, guiding scientific direction in alignment with departmental, laboratory and DOE research initiatives.
- Assists CSM and CSI leadership team to make strategic decisions about CSI research directions and providing significant influence on major organizational objectives.
- Conduct impactful research individually, publishing papers, giving external presentations, and maintaining a strong and visible presence in the scientific community. Develop research ideas into actionable research strategies and programs, and assist in preparing funding proposals
- Interacts with work group and collaborates with col-
leagues in other departments or at other institutions.
- Participates in recruiting initiatives in diversity, fellowships, and university relations.
- Assist the Department Chair in implementing and disseminating institutional policies
- Fostering a mutually respectful work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment, ensure a safe and secure work environment, and nurture professional excellence
- Provide mentorship for the PCM group staff members and foster their professional development.
- Bachelor’s and 8+ years, or Master’s and 6+ years, or Doctorate and 2+ years post-PhD in Computer Science, Computational Science, Physics, Chemistry, or a related Engineering discipline
- Record of high-impact research and published papers in programming models and/or compilers
- Established and engaged member of the research community with record of regularly presenting research at conferences and workshops
- Commitment to working safely and fostering an environment of safe-work practices.
- Experience reflecting leadership, interpersonal, management, communication, analytic and decision-making skills
- Experience in successfully communicating with key stakeholders, clients, program sponsors and internal staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Leadership capability in strategic and tactical planning.
- Experience in contributing to development of strategies to foster science, build technical capability, develop research programs, and strategically connect with external organizations.
- Experience collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams, building consensus, and/or working across organizational boundaries to achieve institutional objectives.
- Familiarity with DOE programs, DOE Office of Science and US National Laboratories
- Moderate domestic and foreign travel
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now