Process Improvement SpecialistJob ID 3460 Date posted 11/01/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Office of Institutional Improvement (OII) serves as a central resource for line organizations to pursue continuous improvement of business processes, improve efficiency and customer/user satisfaction, and integrate the principles of Human Performance Improvement (HPI) into work. The core services that OII delivers to the Laboratory include:
- Leading Lean/Six Sigma improvement teams;
- Identifying opportunities for improvement and savings;
- Organizing and facilitating improvement projects/teams, and applying the proven methods and tools of continuous improvement to deliver cost effective and efficient processes;
- Capturing, validating, and monitoring cost savings in support of investment goals.
- Developing skill sets for process and human performance improvement, and leveraging continuous improvement resources across the institution;
- Measuring progress, reporting results, and celebrating success.
The Office of Improvement has an opening for an Staff Engineer (Process Improvement Specialist) to identify and drive process improvements consistent with Lean Six Sigma methodologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate teams and engage with staff to understand business processes and practices
- Organize and facilitate team meetings, set targeted agendas, and manage team feedback
- Using Lean Six Sigma (DMAIC) tools develop solutions to improve, optimize, or redesign processes
- Facilitate improvements to business processes and tools to deliver efficiencies and customer satisfaction
- Develop current state process maps in MS Visio for review and analysis
- Develop future state process maps in MS Visio that incorporate process efficiencies based on customer needs
- Manage an improvement project lifecycle using key metrics to monitor performance and maintain system control
- Work with business units to manage change, document workflow, and process changes and develop standard operating procedures
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- Minimum three (3) years progressively responsible related work experience
- Demonstrated use of Microsoft Visio for process mapping
- Microsoft Office proficiency
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to facilitate teams with diverse skills and talents during all phases of process improvement projects
- LSS Yellow Belt certification
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Lean Six Sigma certification (Black, Green,belt)
- Project Management certification or training
- Familiarity with Quality Management processes
- Familiarity with BNL business and administrative processes
- Familiar with MS PowerBI applications for business data management
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Occasional domestic travel (5%)
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now