Principle Buyer IJob ID 1921 Date posted 10/22/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Procurement and Property Management Division is to provides support for purchasing services, materials, equipment, and supplies for Brookhaven National Laboratory operations and programs. Procurement and Property Management Division does the following:
- Provides internal customers with quality products and services in a timely manner at the lowest cost of ownership, i.e., "best value," using best commercial practices;
- Supports the Laboratory's socioeconomic programs by using reliable small, small disadvantaged, women-owned, service disabled veteran owned, and HUB (historically underutilized business) Zone businesses;
- Ensures that acquisitions are conducted in compliance with the prime contract, applicable statutes and regulations, and in accordance with the highest ethics and standards
Responsible for the procurement of a variety of goods and services through various contract types in a high-volume environment.
Responsible for contract administration functions including monitoring of progress, receipt of deliverable, invoice approval and closeout activities.
Identification and tracking of customer supplied or purchased property and maintenance throughout the life of the procurement/requirement.
Will work independently within established procedures and guidelines, under direct supervision the processing of, but not limited to, priority low risk and dollar value procurements with a signature authority of $100K.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Economical and efficient procurement of a variety of commodity goods and services in a high-volume environment, including leveraging purchasing power through strategic purchasing
- Prepare solicitations, evaluate responses and detailed price analysis, blanket order contracts, and change orders
- Negotiate and award purchase orders
- Initiate Requests for Quotations (RFQ) and Proposals (RFP)
- Analyze proposed pricing from potential suppliers
- Evaluate and monitor supplier quality and reliability, as well as supplier ability to support required delivery schedules
- Identify opportunities to reduce cost, improve efficiency, and manage risk through targeted negotiations
- Issue purchase orders
- Manage performance of purchase orders, ensure compliance with all legal and federal requirements as well as Laboratory policies and procedures
- Employ sound business practices and assess supplier performance as part of follow-up activities
- Ensure that appropriate documentation is provided to transportation & warehouse division so that proper receipt of goods is recorded
- Utilize process tools to drive quality, efficiency and continuous improvement
- Provide procurement expertise and leadership to projects
- Plan and coordinate procurement activities to meet technical, schedule, and budget requirements
- Work with a diverse and international population of internal customers to ensure specifications are appropriate for the services or products required
- Prepare and present reports on procurement activities
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA or BS in a business discipline or equivalent
- 10 years direct procurement experience including preparing solicitations, evaluating prospective suppliers’ quotes, bids, and proposals, analyzing cost and price proposals, negotiating and awarding purchase orders and contracts, executing change orders and modifications
- Experience with Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and/or Department of Energy Acquisition Regulations (DEAR)
- In-depth knowledge of the procurement discipline
- Ability to identify and resolve complex problems
- Ability to work under limited supervision with primarily high dollar, high risk procurements with complex technical requirements
- Experience in post-award administration of contracts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to interface with stakeholders within and outside of the Laboratory
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in federal government procurement
- Advanced business degree
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to communcate verbally and hear and understand speech.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file