Principal EngineerJob ID 2148 Date posted 07/24/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Principal Engineer is responsible for conceptualizing, planning and conducting major engineering or research projects of unusually broad scope and complexity, requiring the formulation, development and use of advanced and innovative engineering approaches and techniques to resolve highly complex and outstanding problems. Often responsible for the supervision or direction of a group of engineers involved in such efforts or may lead cross-functional teams to deliver projects within the constraints of schedule, budget and scope.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Principal Engineer will apply advanced principles to initiate, plan, execute, monitor, and control project plans, and/or to design, develop, specify, test and evaluate solutions and plans to solve highly technical problems. Selected candidate will formulate solutions and oversee the building and evaluation of the most complex and detailed prototype designs and models
- Design, operate, and troubleshoot high voltage systems
- Development of new high voltage systems and the improvement of existing high voltage systems
- Requires a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- Minimum fifteen (15) years progressively responsible related work experience including proven outstanding abilities in engineering leadership
- Knowledge of current principles and practices of high voltage engineering
- Experience with high voltage multipliers
- Experience with measurement techniques for high voltage systems
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Design and operations of high voltage power supplies
- Computer programming capabilities (LabView)
- Familiarity with principals of Van de Graaff generators
- Control system experience
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Ability to climb a ladder and be at a height of up to five feet
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is a meaningful and significant part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now