Postodoctoral Research Associate - QCDJob ID 2418 Date posted 11/06/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Nuclear Theory Group has active programs focused on studies of strongly interacting matter under extreme conditions, quark-gluon structure of hadrons and application of quantum computing in nuclear physics. The active permanent staff members are Yoshitaka Hatta, Dima Kharzeev, Yacine Mehtar-Tani, Swagato Mukherjee, Peter Petreczky, Rob Pisarski, Bjoern Schenke and Raju Venugopalan (Group Leader).
The Nuclear Theory Group in BNL’s Physics Dept/Division has an opening for a Research Associate to join the group beginning on or about October 1, 2021. The selected hire will perform research in the area of perturbative Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD) and spin physics in support of the RHIC spin program and the science program of a future Electron-Ion Collider. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
The position requires a Ph.D. in Theoretical Nuclear or Elementary Particle Physics within the last five years. The candidate chosen will be hired for a term of two years. The successful candidate will work under the direction of Raju Venugopalan, Group Leader of the Nuclear Theory Group in the BNL Physics Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform original research in high energy QCD
- Organize/participate in seminars, meetings and workshops
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. degree in theoretical nuclear or particle physics
- Experience in Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD)
- Broad knowledge of quantum field theory
- Significant experience with perturbative QCD and QCD phenomenology at electron-hadron and hadron-hadron colliders
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
- Initial 2 year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding.
- May require domestic and international travel.
In addition, to submitting your curriculum vitae through “BNL Careers,” please arrange to have three letters of recommendation from your referees sent to physicsLOR@bnl.gov Please be sure to reference the Job ID number in the E-mail. A review of the applicants will start on November 23, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now