Postdoctoral ResearcherJob ID 2911 Date posted 11/19/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Nuclear Theory Group has active programs focused on studies of strongly interacting matter under extreme conditions, quark-gluon structure of hadrons and application of quantum computing in nuclear physics. The active permanent staff members are Yoshitaka Hatta, Dima Kharzeev, Yacine Mehtar-Tani, Swagato Mukherjee, Peter Petreczky (Group Leader), Rob Pisarski, Bjoern Schenke and Raju Venugopalan.
The Physics Department has an opening for a research associate in the Nuclear Theory Group. You will work under the direction of Peter Petreczky, Group Leader of the Nuclear Theory Group. In this role, you will conduct research in lattice Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD). This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform research on structure of hadrons and/or high temperature QCD matter using lattice QCD methods.
- Organize and participate in seminars, meetings, and workshops
- Publish research results and conduct presentations at meetings and conferences
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD degree in Theoretical Nuclear or Elementary Particle Physics
- Prior research experience in lattice Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD)
- Proficient in and knowledge of lattice quantum field theory
- Ability to prepare and deliver oral presentations, as well as write articles in scientific journals
- Clear and concise verbal/written/presentation communication skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of lattice QCD computations of properties and structures of hadrons
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining a PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
- Initial two (2) year term appointment subject to one (1) year option renewal contingent on funding and performance.
- May require domestic and international travel.
- In addition, to submitting your curriculum vitae through “BNL Careers,” please also arrange to have three letters of recommendation from your referees sent to PhysicsLOR@bnl.gov Please be sure to reference the Job ID number in the e-mail subject line. A review of the applicants will start on November 30th, 2021 and continue until the positions are filled.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now