Postdoctoral Researcher - Tracking SoftwareJob ID 3383 Date posted 09/09/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Physics Department is to be involved in research using the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC). The STAR Group in the Physics Department at BNL contributes to the overall STAR Experiment. The STAR collaboration constructs and operates experimental apparatus for the STAR experiment located at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) and coordinates the production of scientific results using this apparatus. The STAR group works with collaborators from around the world to share science data and shape the scientific program.
The STAR Experiment has an exciting opportunity for a Postdoctoral Associate in the Tracking Software Group. In this high visibility role, you will utilize your knowledge and experience in track and vertex reconstruction techniques to develop and integrate tracking software as well integrating data analysis toolchain based on the KFParticle software to facilitate STAR analyses requiring secondary vertex reconstruction. You will be a member of data production group for STAR with opportunities to develop and optimize the tool used. You will have leadership opportunities and be a critical member of the team while enjoying a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the group leader and other software experts to develop plans to advance the STAR tracking reconstruction software and data analysis tools
- Development and integration of STAR TPC tracking software; working with the STAR Software and Computing Management Group and physics working groups to evaluate the latest development
- Development and integration of data analysis toolchain based on KFParticle software package
- Integration of other valuable developments made by Tracking Software Group to the STAR main software repository
- Responsible for any bug report involving the STAR TPC tracking software
- Provide support to STAR data analyses if track reconstruction details are needed
- Conducting STAR data production
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Particle physics, nuclear physics
- Knowledge of high energy physics and/or relativistic heavy ion physics
- Knowledge of tracking reconstruction algorithms and software, such as cellular automata, in high energy physics
- Knowledge of vertex reconstruction algorithms and software, such as KFParticle
- Strong skills in large scale software development in C/C++ on Linux planform
- Knowledge and experience in data analysis in high energy physics or high nuclear physics
- Clear and concise oral and written communication and presentation skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and experience in Particle physics, nuclear physics
- Knowledge and experience in track and vertex reconstruction in high energy physics
- Working knowledge and experience in Cellular Automata Tracker and KFParticle
- Programming experience using C++ and ROOT framework
- Working knowledge of large-scale, hundreds of TB, data processing
- Working knowledge of Linux Operating System
- Scripting experience in Python and shells on Linux platform
- Experience with Linux batch processing, particularly Condor
- Requires travel, including foreign travel
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining a PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events
- Initial 2-year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding
- In your electronic application submission, please include (in one document) a cover letter, curriculum vitae, publication list, and a brief description of research interests. After electronic submission of application, applicants should arrange for at least three letters of recommendation to be sent electronically to PhysicsLOR@bnl.gov.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now