Postdoctoral Researcher in Machine LearningJob ID 980 Date posted 04/10/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Building on its capabilities in computational science and data management, the Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/) at the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Brookhaven National Laboratory was established to integrate and leverage computer science, computational science and applied mathematics expertise and investments across multiple programs at the Laboratory. In providing leading computational and data science solutions for BNL’s flagship facilities – RHIC, LHC Atlas US Tier One Center, NSLS II, CFN —CSI is confirming Brookhaven as a leader in tackling the "big data" challenges at the frontiers of scientific discovery. CSI’s mission is to provide ‘Leadership in Data Driven Discovery’. We are pursuing this mission by engaging in research into novel approaches and methods throughout the software stack to create high performance analysis and interpretation capabilities for experimental, observational and computational data, the provision of data management and analysis facilities, and the practical application of these resources to critical domain science challenges.
A postdoctoral position is available immediately in Computational Science Initiative (CSI) at Brookhaven National Laboratory. The successful candidate will conduct research in developing and applying machine learning on online data analysis and reduction from the exascale computing applications. The successful candidate will be expected to be able to work closely together with different exascale application scientists and exascale infrastructure developers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform data analysis of HPC applications or HPC system
- Identify potential challenges of applying existing machine learning methods
- Improve existing data analysis methods or develop novel learning algorithms
- Perform evaluation of learning algorithms
- Implement existing or developed methods in HPC environment
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D in computer science, math, statistics or related discipline is required.
- Proven ability for disseminating research results by writing manuscripts and giving academic presentations.
- Candidates must be willing to travel in order to disseminate results and communicate with other scientists.
- Strong programming skills are essential along with in depth knowledge of online data analysis.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work closely and communicate effectively with other domain scientist and infrastructure scientist.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Worked with general ML libraries and toolkits
- Experience with large scale data analysis
- Experience working in multidisciplinary scientific collaboration
- Experience with OpenMP, MPI, OpenACC, OpenCL, etc.
- Experience with accelerators (GPU, Intel Xeon Phi) and high performance computing systems
- Track record of producing high quality software on schedule
- The ability to obtain and maintain a DOE “Q” security clearance would be advantageous.
- Moderate domestic and foreign travel
- Candidates with skills that are appropriate for this project (as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications and/or relevant meeting presentations) are highly encouraged to apply.
- The initial appointment will be for one year, with annual renewal contingent upon satisfactory performance and continued funding.
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401 (k)
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor