Postdoctoral Research AssociateJob ID 2637 Date posted 10/12/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Artificial Photosynthesis (AP) Group (https://www.bnl.gov/chemistry/AP/) in the Chemistry Division (http://www.bnl.gov/chemistry) of Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL, http://www.bnl.gov), is a leader in fundamental studies to advance the design and understanding of molecular systems to utilize solar energy for generation of useful chemicals and fuels from water and CO2. The group uses a combination of advanced experimental techniques and high-level theoretical calculations to gain detailed understanding of the various processes involved in AP. The experimental techniques include nanosecond time-resolved infrared (TRIR) detection methods for pulse radiolysis and laser flash photolysis, as well as UV-visible transient absorption spectroscopy on fast and ultrafast timescales.
The AP group is currently seeking postdoctoral Research Associates to join the group to conduct basic research in artificial photosynthesis. The successful candidates will conduct basic research as part of the AP team with a specific focus on (i) photophysics and photochemistry of molecular chromophores for driving catalytic reactions and the effect of PCET on these processes; (ii) mechanistic studies of molecular catalysis for CO2 reduction and water oxidation, both in solution and at semiconductor interfaces; and (iii) efficient coupling of light absorption by molecular chromophores to molecular catalysis. The successful candidates will work collaboratively with a team of scientists from the AP group, and will be supervised by principal investigators from the group. Two postdoctoral positions will be filled. The positions will be available immediately and applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
- A Ph. D. in chemistry or materials science is required.
- Synthetic skills in organic, inorganic and/or organometallic chemistry.
- Skills in homogeneous and/or heterogeneous catalytic reactions, understanding of mechanisms, and experience using relevant instrumentation to probe kinetics and mechanism.
- Good writing and communication skills as evidenced by a publication history.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Experience with time-resolved spectroscopies, such as UV/Vis transient absorption (TA) and time-resolved infrared (TRIR).
- Experience with radiation chemistry techniques, particularly pulse radiolysis.
- Experience with single-crystal X-ray crystallography
- Experience with synchrotron-based techniques (XAS, XPS, XRD, RIXS) for molecular and heterogeneous catalysts, including in-situ and in-operando methods.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past 5 years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now