Postdoctoral Research Associate x-ray microscopyJob ID 2789 Date posted 06/13/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
As one of the newest, most advanced synchrotron light sources in the world, National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables its growing research community to study materials with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing cutting-edge capabilities. This facility is open to users from academia and industry. Its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. The Imaging and Microscopy Program at NSLS-II operates the world-leading scanning probe microscopy and transmission X-ray microscopy beamlines, the Hard X-ray Nanoprobe (HXN) and the Full Field X-ray Imaging(FXI), providing the suite of comprehensive research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas.
The NSLS-II is seeking an exceptional Postdoctoral Research Associate to join a research effort on developing advanced X-ray imaging methods and commissioning a novel scanning probe microscope for high-throughput 3D ptychographical tomography. The selected candidate will work with a team of scientists and technical staff within the Imaging/Microscopy and Experimental Development programs, utilizing the world-leading hard X-ray imaging capabilities at the Hard X-ray Nanoprobe Beamline (HXN).
The selected candidate will perform scientific research on optimizing x-ray imaging methods for achieving the state-of-the-art throughput of three-dimensional ptychographical imaging with high spatial resolution. The candidate will develop the image processing workflow from data acquisition to 3D structure quantification. The particular emphasis is on a direct coupling between ptychography with tomography to relax 2D sampling requirements using volume overlaps. Other throughput enhancement strategies will be explored to leverage correlative information from different imaging channels (absorption, phase, and fluorescence) and different imaging modalities (scanning probe and full-field). In addition, the candidate will also actively participate in the commissioning of a novel scanning x-ray microscope developed for the fast 3D imaging conducted in the on-the-fly mode. In addition, the candidate will collaborate with beamline/instrumentation scientists, the Data Science and Systems Integration (DSSI) group, and external collaborators.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a high-throughput ptychographical tomography method through collaborative work with the HXN beamline scientists.
- Develop the experimental strategy for high-throughput 3D nanoscale measurements and optimize the workflow for data analysis.
- Actively participate in the commissioning of a newly developed scanning x-ray microscope.
- Investigate functional materials systems using the developed technique.
- Publish the results in peer-reviewed journals and present them at conferences.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Computer Science, Physics, Material Science, or related discipline.
- Experience in 3D tomography and quantitative image data analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in computational programming
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and interact effectively in a collaborative team to tackle challenging scientific problems.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (one or more of the following):
- Demonstrated experience in Python programming
- Work experience in a synchrotron-based research environment
- Demonstrated experience in X-ray scanning and full-filed microscopy
- Hands-on experience in operating/commissioning complex scientific instrumentation
- Knowledge of image processing methods
- Knowledge of machine-learning algorithms
BNL policy requires that after obtaining their PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now