Postdoctoral Research Associate Theoretical Quantum Information ScienceJob ID 2455 Date posted 11/25/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The holder of this position will carry out theoretical research in quantum information science within C2QA and be stationed at Yale University under the scientific direction of Professor Steven Girvin in the Yale Quantum Institute. The position provides rich opportunities for close collaboration within C2QA with theoretical computer scientists, physicists and chemists in the Software/Applications thrust and with experimentalists in the Devices thrust working on quantum information processing with superconducting circuits. This is a two year appointment with a possible one year extension
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and model novel practical approaches to quantum error correction and fault tolerance for both discrete-variable (superconducting qubits) and continuous-variable (superconducting resonators containing microwave photons) hardware systems using both measurement-based and autonomous feedback schemes, and the development of new error-correction codes.
- Develop and model new quantum control techniques for precision operations in superconducting circuits such controllable beam splitter and squeezing operations, controlled-SWAP, exponential SWAP and other novel gates for bosonic quantum information processing.
- Contribute to the development and definition of a formal Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) for hybrid discrete/continuous variable quantum information processing systems.
- Act as a bridge between different thrust areas, disciplines and institutions within the diverse C2QA team.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in a theoretical physical science or computer science
- Knowledge of quantum theory and/or quantum computer science
- Ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional team environment
- Good scientific writing and oral presentation abilities, and publication experience.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with the theory of circuit quantum electrodynamics and quantum optics
- Familiarity with quantum computer science, quantum algorithms, quantum error correction codes
- The holder of this position will be primarily stationed at Yale University and expected to interact and collaborate regularly (virtually and pandemic conditions permitting, in person) with C2QA team members at Brookhaven National Laboratory and other institutions.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory is committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now