Postdoctoral Research Associate - Self-Assembled 2D Material SuperlatticesJob ID 3063 Date posted 03/17/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- You will use lithography, self-assembly, and thin-film processing methods to create dielectric superlattice substrates for control over 2D material band structure.
- You will characterize structural, photonic, electronic and other properties of the synthesized superlattices.
- You will uncover and disseminate new scientific knowledge related to the behavior of 2D materials through publications and presentations.
- You will collaborate with researchers who possess a broad range of scientific expertise and interest in 2D materials.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- You have earned a Ph.D. in material science, chemistry, physics, chemical engineering or a related discipline;
- You have expertise in cleanroom usage, lithography, nanofabrication pattern transfer methods, and associated characterization (especially SEM);
- You have experience working with and characterizing electronic or optical properties of 2D materials or other thin film nanomaterials;
- You have demonstrated an ability to communicate effectively by writing scientific papers and giving technical presentations;
- You are committed to fostering an environment of safe scientific work practices.
Preferred background and experience:
You are well-matched to this position if:
- You have carried out research involving exfoliation of 2D materials;
- You are familiar with thin film self-assembly methods, especially using block copolymers;
- You have first-hand experience with using electron beam lithography and inductively coupled plasma reactive ion etching;
- You work effectively in a collaborative team to tackle challenging scientific problems;
- You communicate effectively, both verbally and through technical writing.
BNL policy requires that after obtaining their PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now