Postdoctoral Research Associate - RIXSJob ID JR100512 Date posted 09/25/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory hosts several departments and facilities that will be collaborating in this program:
- Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Department, which has a strong tradition in quantum materials, condensed matter theory, x-ray scattering, transport, and scanning probe microscopy
- Computational Science Initiative with expertise in machine learning and advanced numerical methods
- National Synchrotron Light Source, which hosts world-leading x-ray scattering facilities
- Center for Functional Nanomaterials with unique facilities for fabricating nanostructures
These departments, together with the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, will be collaborating to study magnetic van der Waals heterostructures
We are looking for a postdoctoral research associate to synthesize magnetic van der Waals heterostructures and study them with resonant inelastic x-ray scattering. These experiments will be interpreted in a friendly and dynamic team environment, including collaboration with theorists, machine learning experts, and other experimentalists.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Synthesizing magnetic van der Waals heterostructures using the QPress facility at the Center for Functional Nanomaterials
- Performing resonant inelastic x-ray scattering experiments on van der Waals heterostructures and analyzing and interpreting the results
- Reporting the scientific results in academic papers and talks
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD. in Physics or related discipline.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, be self-motivated and able to work both independently and as a part of a multi-institutional team.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists and technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to disseminate research results by writing manuscripts and giving academic presentations.
- A good understanding of the physics of quantum materials
- Able to work closely and communicate effectively with colleagues focused on other experimental and theoretical techniques
- Demonstrated data analysis skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in spectroscopic or scattering techniques such as x-ray scattering, neutron scattering, optical spectroscopy, photoelectron spectroscopy, etc.
- Experience with, or motivation to learn, van der Waals heterostructure synthesis
- Familiarity with, or motivation to learn, facility proposal submission procedures and effective completion of experiments in fixed time slots using national-scale central facilities.
- While based primarily at Brookhaven National Laboratory, the position may require some domestic and international travel
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining their PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
Brookhaven Laboratory is committed to providing fair, equitable and competitive compensation. The full salary range for this position is $68,400-90,825-113,250. Salary offers will be commensurate with the final candidate’s qualification, education and experience and considered with the internal peer group.
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now