Postdoctoral Research Associate RF R&DJob ID JR100562 Date posted 09/25/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The Electron-Ion Collider (EIC) RF/SRF group has openings for Postdoctoral Research Associates in RF R&D. The research focuses on elliptical SRF cavity, crab SRF cavity and their auxiliary components. The work for this position includes RF simulation and hands-on RF measurement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research on development of EIC elliptical cavity systems, including cavity design, coupler design and HOM damper design
- Research on development of EIC crab cavity, including cavity design, coupler design and HOM damper design
- Provide support on normal conducting RF development as EIC needs
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in accelerator Physics or related discipline
- Experience in design, fabrication, and/or commissioning of high power RF cavity
- Experience with microwave software, such as CST Microwave Studio, HFSS et al.
- Experience with RF measurement equipment: Network Analyzer, TDR, Spectrum Analyzer et al.
- Ability to effectively communicate
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of SRF cavity
- Knowledge on beam-cavity interacting physics
- Domestic and international travel
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining their PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
Brookhaven Laboratory is committed to providing fair, equitable and competitive compensation. The full salary range for this position is $68400 - $113250 /year. Salary offers will be commensurate with the final candidate’s qualification, education and experience and considered with the internal peer group.
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now