Postdoctoral Research Associate Quantum DevicesJob ID 2462 Date posted 02/24/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Led by Brookhaven Lab, the Co-design Center for Quantum Advantage (C2QA) is one of five National Quantum Information Science (QIS) Research Centers awarded by the U.S. Department of Energy to conduct basic research in QIS. Comprising more than 20 national labs, research centers, universities, and industry, the C2QA team aims to overcome the performance limitations of current-generation quantum computers. Through software-hardware co-design, they will work toward achieving quantum advantage—the point at which a quantum computer outperforms a classical one on a useful task—for computations in high-energy and nuclear physics, chemistry, materials science, condensed matter physics, and other fields. Their quantum co-design efforts target three research thrusts: software and algorithms, devices, and materials.
The holder of this position will carry out experimental research in quantum information science within C2QA and be stationed at Yale University under the scientific direction of Professor Robert Schoelkopf. The position provides rich opportunities for close collaboration within C2QA with materials scientists, physicists and chemists in the Materials thrust and with experimentalists in the Devices thrust working on quantum information processing with superconducting circuits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and test novel characterization methods for materials properties in the quantum regime.
- Work with other team members to implement improved quantum devices and utilize them for quantum algorithms and error-correction protocols.
- Explore materials limits on quantum coherence, and work with materials scientists throughout C2QA to correlate coherence and materials measurements.
- Act as a bridge between different thrust areas, disciplines and institutions within the diverse C2QA team.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in an experimental physical science or related engineering discipline
- Expert knowledge of quantum devices and/or materials science
- Ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional team environment
- Good scientific writing and oral presentation abilities, and publication experience.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with the fabrication of superconducting qubits
- Familiarity with quantum devices and measurement
- The holder of this position will be primarily stationed at Yale University but expected to interact and collaborate regularly (virtually and pandemic conditions permitting, in person) with C2QA team members at Brookhaven National Laboratory and other institutions.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory is committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now