Postdoctoral Research Associate - Nuclear ScienceJob ID 2169 Date posted 06/01/2020
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Medical Isotope Research and Production (MIRP) Program in the Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a two-year term Postdoctoral Research Associate to participate in a multidisciplinary research project(s). The successful candidate will have a background in the field of nuclear science with experience in data analysis. The candidate will be expected to set up and use a high throughput counting system for the gamma spectroscopy analysis of the activated samples. The project involves measurement of energy dependent cross section data for proton induced nuclear reactions. Solid working knowledge of wet chemistry techniques demonstrated through combination of research experience and education will be advantageous. This position will involve the handling of radioactive material and hazardous chemicals so attention to details is a must.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designing experiments for irradiation of targets with a proton/neutron beam
- Counting system maintenance, data collection, and analysis
- Contributing to method development for purifying and characterizing radioisotopes produced in irradiation
- Preparation of data for presentations and publications
- Contributing to reports writing
- Presenting results to the scientific community
- PhD in radiological sciences, radiochemistry, nuclear chemistry, or a closely related field. Candidates of Physics or Chemistry majors should have experience/training in nuclear/radiological science
- Solid knowledge of gamma spectroscopy and radiation detecting techniques
- Ability to plan and carry out experiments to produce data for peer reviewed publications
- Experience in handling of radioactivity
- Excellent technical writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively
- Experience in data analysis
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of gamma spectroscopy and associated signal processing electronics
- Experience in making targets for irradiations
- Hands on experience in separations related to isotope production: ion-exchange, solvent extraction
- Hands on experience in analytical chemistry techniques
- Programing skills and experience with Monte Carlo based transport codes is a plus.
- Working knowledge of wet chemistry techniques
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to work protracted hours and an irregular schedule
- Ability to work with chemicals and radioactive material
- Ability to follow procedures and regulatory guidelines
- Ability to work in a chemical laboratory
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
- This position may requires domestic and foreign travel.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now