Postdoctoral Research Associate Macromolecular CrystallographyJob ID 2729 Date posted 07/26/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The Center for BioMolecular Structure at the National Synchrotron Light Source-II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory seeks a postdoctoral research associate to join our program that operates two state-of-the-art macromolecular crystallography (MX) beamlines, a life-sciences scattering beamline, and a cryo-EM facility. The successful researcher who joins our multi-national multi-disciplinary team will expand the scientific capabilities of the Frontier Macromolecular Crystallography (FMX) beamline’s unsurpassed brightness and micro-focus beam. The project will establish room temperature and time-resolved serial synchrotron crystallography at the FMX beamline, in a close collaboration with our colleagues at the BNL Biology department, with the goal to study dynamic processes in proteins such as enzymatic reactions. The position is a two-year term appointment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Study dynamic and time resolved processes in proteins with a fixed-target chip-scanning goniometer at FMX.
- Develop a fixed-target sample holder, room temperature sample handling protocols and a reaction trigger mechanism.
- Design the time-resolved serial synchrotron crystallography (SSX) experiment and associated data analysis.
- Successful structure solutions of reaction intermediates will provide new insights into protein function.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, physics, biophysics, or a related field
- Demonstrated background in Macromolecular Crystallography data acquisition and analysis
- Demonstrated publication record in X-ray or neutron-based research
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and effective interaction in a team environment
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in the use of synchrotron beamlines for structural biology
- Experience in protein purification and sample preparation for structural analysis
- Interest or skills in instrument development, particularly in liquid handling
- Experience with programming
- Experience in scientific computation and large-scale data processing
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years .
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now