Postdoctoral Research Associate - Lunar Radio Astronomy Instrumentation DevelopmentJob ID 3480 Date posted 11/21/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The BNL Astrophysics and Cosmology Group has an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associate beginning on or about April 1, 2023. BNL has contributed to the development of the Vera Rubin Observatory for over a decade as they designed and built rafts for the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) camera. In addition, BNL maintained a strong presence within the Dark Energy Science Collaboration. In 2021, BNL was selected as the lead laboratory for the related LuSEE-Night project, a collaborative project between the DOE and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
A successful candidate will focus on the LuSEE-Night project, which will land a Dark Ages pathfinder experiment on the far side of the Moon. LuSEE-Night is scheduled to fly on the CS-3 mission of NASA Commercial Lunar Payload Services in the second part of 2025. LuSEE-Night will demonstrate technical feasibility of the low-frequency (0.1-50MHz) radio observations from the far-side of the Moon. It will characterize the lunar far-side as a radio astronomy observatory and identify main sources of systematic errors for high precision observations. We are looking for an instrumentally minded physicist to work on hardware, instrumentation development, and preparation for data analysis. Successful candidate will work with Anže Slosar. You will enjoy a high level of interaction with an international and multi-cultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Detailed characterization and testing of the analog/digital signal chain using laboratory measurements combined with numerical modeling.
- Developing statistical models of the low-frequency radio sky and predicting the observed signal as a part of LuSEE-Night Science Collaboration.
- Developing analysis methods and data reduction software to characterize galactic and extragalactic foregrounds and to extract Dark Ages constraints
- Advancing new approaches to system calibration
- Document and disseminate research results through publications and conduct research presentations at meetings and conferences.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Physics, Astrophysics, Astronomy or a related field
- Fluency in Python programming language
- Familiarity with Github software development ecosystem
- Demonstrated ability to perform research independently and as part of a research group
- Clear and concise oral and written communication and interpersonal and analytical skills
- Demonstrated track record of publication of research in high quality peer-reviewed journals and deliver of presentations
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Research background in Radio Astronomy, Astronomical Observations or Cosmology
- Practical experience developing and testing analog/digital electronics
- Experience with C++ and/or VHDL
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
Ability to travel internationally and within the US
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining a PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing event
- In addition, to submitting your curriculum vitae through “BNL Careers,” please also arrange to have three (3) letters of recommendation from your referees sent to PhysicsLOR@bnl.gov(reference the Job ID number in the e-mail subject line). A review of applicants will start immediately with a submission deadline of December 2, 2022
- Initial two (2) year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on funding and performance.
- Under the supervision of Anze Slosar, project PI and Group Leader, Astrophysics and Cosmology Division.
- This position is located at BNL in Upton, NY and may be considered for Hybrid telework arrangement.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now