Postdoctoral Research Associate – Ion Beam Figuring and Optics MetrologyJob ID 1004 Date posted 05/17/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) Optical Metrology Group is seeking an experienced material scientist or physicist with expertise in Ion Beam Figuring (IBF) or similar technology and Optical Metrology to produce ultra-high precision optics.
The main function of this job is to understand the existing IBF system / process, to extend and improve the IBF capability and to solve challenging engineering problems associated with achieving nanometer scale precision for mirror fabrication.
The main focus of this position will be:
- Understand the existing Ion Beam Figuring system / process
- Extend/improve the IBF capability by appropriate design of experiments
- Establish the best process.
- Solve any engineering challenges that we encounter in IBF and metrology as the precision gets to sub-nanometer scale
- Create and maintain a roadmap of surface figuring technology to support NSLS-II mirror fabrication by investigating possible candidate techniques and evaluating their capabilities and limitations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ph.D. in materials science, physics or engineering
- Knowledge in ion beam figuring / etching or similar technology
- Experience in IBF technology and Optical metrology
- Expert knowledge of MATLAB and/or Labview for data collection and analysis to drive solutions;
- Experience in system integration and troubleshooting;
- Experience in verification methods for ultra-high precision optics (interferometer, microscope, SEM/TEM, etc.)
- General understanding of optics and optics manufacturing methods
- Excellent analytical and experimental skills.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
Thus position is a two-year term appointment.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401 (k) Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor