Postdoctoral Research Associate - Heavy Flavor PhysicsJob ID 1576 Date posted 12/26/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Electronic Detector Group (EDG) in the Physics Department at BNL has an extensive history in kaon, neutrino and muon experiments. The EDG has a new research effort in heavy flavor physics with the Belle II B-factory experiment in KEK(Japan). EDG physicists also have major responsibilities in many neutrino and muon experiments; the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) and its prototype (ProtoDUNE), MicroBooNE, Daya Bay, PROSPECT, SBND, ICARUS, and the muon g-2 experiment. The EDG currently has twenty physicists at various career levels and a long history of research in fundamental particle physics. In collaboration with the Instrumentation Division, the group is performing research and development in electronics and detector design for liquid-argon TPCs. In collaboration with the BNL Chemistry Department, the group is performing research and development on water-based liquid scintillator and reactor neutrino experiments.
The Physics Department has an opening for a Research Associate to participate in a new research effort on the Belle II experiment in the Electronic Detector Group. The candidate will have an active role in analysis of Belle II data as the experiment ramps up to full luminosity. BNL is the lead lab for US Belle II Computing Operations and the candidate can have a role in coordinating the computing and physics efforts. This position would be under the direction of Dr. David Jaffe and will be an initial two-year appointment with the possibility of an extension.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Belle II data processing and analysis.
- Active participation in all aspects of the Belle II collaboration.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A Ph.D. in high energy or nuclear physics
- Strong record of recent accomplishments in experimental physics
- Extensive experience in data analysis and detector simulation of particle physics experiments.
- Demonstrated ability to perform research independently and as part of a research group
- Proficiency with common high energy physics analysis tools
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with assembly, commissioning and analysis of a particle physics experiment at an e+e- collider.
- Knowledge of heavy flavor physics.
- Strong programming skills
- Experience with detector simulation with Geant4
- Experience with machine learning and high performance computing
OTHER INFORMATION: (add if applicable)
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years
- Domestic and international travel is required
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor