Postdoctoral Research Associate for Bragg Coherent Diffraction ImagingJob ID 2458 Date posted 12/09/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory supports a longstanding program in the area of X-ray Scattering. The program aims to advance our understanding of condensed matter physics, chemical and materials science by developing the instrumentation and methodology of 3rd generation synchrotron and X-ray free electron laser sources. The program is specifically interested in obtaining detailed pictures of spin and charge behavior in complex oxide materials and how these organize into domains once they couple to the crystal lattice. This multi-degree of freedom, multi-length-scale understanding of canonical strongly correlated oxides is a vital step towards “properties on demand” via strategic ultra-fast excitation of quantum materials. The X-ray Scattering Group specializes in Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering (RIXS), Bragg Coherent Diffraction Imaging (BCDI) and X-ray Total Scattering for Pair Distribution Function (PDF) and benefits from close collaboration with beamlines at the National Synchrotron Light Source II.
The successful candidate with work with Ian Robinson in the X-Ray Scattering Group alongside Simon Billinge, Mark Dean and Emil Bozin to advance the capabilities of the Bragg Coherent Diffraction Imaging method.
The successful candidate will develop ultrafast X-ray total scattering techniques to probe charge and magnetic ordering in quantum materials using the pair-distribution function method. This involves preparing and performing state-of-the-art x-ray scattering experiments, analyzing the data and disseminating the conclusions in scientific publications and talks.
- A PhD in experimental condensed matter physics or related field.
- Experience in central facility-based scattering techniques such as x-ray scattering, neutron scattering, photoelectron spectroscopy etc.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proven abilities for disseminating research by writing papers and giving academic talks
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated data analysis skills
- Knowledge of programming languages, such as Python, and experience with large datasets
- A good understanding of the science of quantum materials
- Experience with Bragg Coherent Diffraction Imaging
While principally based at Brookhaven National Laboratory, the candidate should be willing to travel to carry out experiments at various national and international facilities
BNL policy requires that research associate positions be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now