Postdoctoral Research Associate, Detector DevelopmentJob ID 2608 Date posted 04/13/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
The Instrumentation Division has an opening for a postdoctoral research associate to work on advanced detector development for high-energy physics experimental applications. Instrumentation, working closely with the BNL physics department, is developing key detector technology for several noble-liquid detector experiments. On the DUNE long-baseline neutrino oscillation experiment, Instrumentation has major roles in the single phase TPC readout "cold electronics" and the charge readout plane detector design and construction, both of which must operate in cryogenic liquid with extremely high reliability over a long operational lifetime. On the proposed nEXO neutrinoless double-beta decay experiment, Instrumentation has major roles in the SiPM-based photon detector and associated readout system and in developing novel interconnects that function at cryogenic temperatures with ultra-low radioactivity.
As a Research Associate, you will use your experience to develop hardware for high-energy physics (HEP) applications to advance one or more of these state-of-the-art detector technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and test novel prototype detector technologies that operate at cryogenic temperatures
- Work with IO staff and collaborating institutions on large-scale construction and deployment of detectors
- Conduct simulation and document performance of DUNE and/or nEXO detectors
- Assist with writing simulation, reconstruction, and analysis software for these detectors
- Actively participate and take leadership roles in future DUNE and/or nEXO collaborations
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Particle/Nuclear Physics or Applied/Electrical Engineering
- Experience with data analysis
- Experience in developing experimental particle physics detectors
- Solid background in programming
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge in software tools, e.g. Python, C++, ROOT, LabVIEW
- Experience with HEP detector hardware and readout electronics
- Knowledge in modeling tools, e.g. AutoCAD
- Knowledge in electronics development: FPGA programming, ASIC design
- Experience in noble liquid physics (LAr or LXe TPCs)
- Requires both national and international travel
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years
- Initial 2-year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now