Postdoctoral Research Associate Physics Control SystemsJob ID 1581 Date posted 01/02/2019
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
- Work with the control systems of the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) to develop tools and techniques to process and analyze a large repository of accelerator data
- In collaboration with team members, assume a lead role in:
- Understanding and improving how data is structured and managed
- Code development, documentation and proper code management
- Automating and integrating processes into online systems
- Assist in publishing results of the research and teaching members of the Accelerator Division Control Systems team and C-AD (Collider Accelerator Department) in the use of these new tools and techniques.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related area.
- Experience with software development in a research environment
- Knowledge & experience in statistical data analysis
- Knowledge & experience with basic Data Science techniques and practices
- Knowledge of network communications techniques and protocols
- Knowledge of control system theory and practices
- Experience using Python, C++, or Java
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, including a record of working successfully with a diverse team of scientists and engineers
- Good communication (verbal, written and presentation) skills
- Research experience demonstrated through publications and/or presentations
- Experience working in a physics/particle accelerator research environment
- Knowledge of the EPICS control system software
- Knowledge of accelerator instrumentation systems
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience programming in some combination of C and C++, Java, and/or Python
- Experience working in UNIX/Linux environments
- Experience in high performance computing, optimizing code for performance, and writing code that is re-entrant and thread-safe
- Demonstrated ability to collect software requirements and design robust, high performance software with appropriate consideration of anticipated failure situations and future growth
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor