Postdoctoral Research Associate, Condensed Matter TheoryJob ID 1982 Date posted 12/13/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Division has long had a strong tradition in strongly correlated electron physics, both experimentally and theoretically. As part of this effort, the department is making several hires.
The candidate will be a research associate in BNL's Condensed Matter Theory group. We are looking for candidates who have experience and/or interest in one of the following:
- Quantum field theory and its applications to condensed matter and statistical systems.
- Numerical methods including tensor network methods and density matrix renormalization group approaches to strongly correlated systems.
- Applications of truncated Hamiltonian methods to both 1D and higher demensional systems.
This position will be supervised by various members of the condensed matter theory group. However it is important that the successful candidate be able to work independently. The postdoc will also work closely in collaboration with a team of scientists, theorists, and experimentalsts at the Center.
The position has a nominal two year duration. However with exemplary performance, the position can be extended a year.
- Ph.D in Condensed Matter Physics, Solid State Chemistry, Materials Science or related discipline is required.
- Candidates must have excellent written and oral communication skills, be self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists and technical staff is required.
- Candidates should have proven ability for disseminating research results by writing manuscripts and giving academic presentations.
- Candidates must be willing to travel in order to disseminate results and communicate with scientists at institutions participating in the computational material science effort at BNL.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* A good understanding of the physics of strongly correlated materials/systems is desirable.
* Ability to work closely and communicate effectively with experimental colleagues.
* Some programming skills are desirable.
BNL policy states that research associate appointments may be made to individuals who have received their Ph.D within the past five years.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
* Medical Plans
* Dental Plans
* Vision Plans
*Paid Parental Leave
* Life Insurance
* 401(k) Plan
* Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now