Postdoctoral Research Associate 2D Quantum MaterialsJob ID 2606 Date posted 04/16/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The NSLS-II is seeking an exceptional Postdoctoral Research Associate to join a research effort on the electronic structure of two-dimensional correlated electron materials that are relevant to new directions in quantum information science. The project will focus on applying high resolution soft X-ray electron spectro-microscopy techniques at the ESM beamline to characterize micron-size exfoliated 2D materials and investigate their physical and chemical properties. The project will work in synergy with the QPress effort at the Center for Functional Nanomaterials (CFN).
The postdoctoral research associate will work with BNL scientists from NSLS-II (E. Vescovo) and CFN (J. Sadowski) to develop expertise, experimental capabilities, and collaborations in the quantum materials area. In particular, the candidate will muster experimental techniques for mapping, in real as well as in reciprocal space, the atomic and the electronic structure of 2D quantum materials. These tools include high resolution photoemission spectroscopy at the µ-ARPES endstation and high-resolution X-ray- or electron-induced photoelectron microscopy at the XPEEM endstation, to reveal chemical compositions and topographical distributions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop expertise and experimental techniques in the 2D quantum materials area.
- Responsible for identifying and analyzing opportunities in the quantum materials area for which the capabilities of NSLS-II would be well suited, identifying potential partners, developing appropriate collaborations, and contributing to a BNL proposal for future multi-year funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD. in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- Experience in exfoliation of 2D materials
- Familiarity with ultra-high vacuum (UHV) equipment and procedures
- Interest in learning surface spectro-microscopy methods
- Ability to interact effectively in a collaborative team to tackle challenging scientific problems.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of electron microscopy techniques
- Work experience in a synchrotron-based research environment
- Ability to work independently within a team
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and through writing.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now