Postdoc - Scientific ComputingJob ID JR100591 Date posted 10/11/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is a scientific, extreme scale Data Laboratory in the U.S., New York State, Long Island. We have a lively, fast-growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation, and use of data at extreme scales and in real-time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis, and interpretation of both laboratory and computer experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/) provides a laboratory-wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians, and domain scientists to carry out leading-edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science, and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation. The position will reside within CSI’s Computing for National Security group, which conducts research on system and processor architectures for data-intensive computing, involving methods such as modeling and simulation, surrogate and reduced order modeling, optimal experimental design, uncertainty quantification, decision making under uncertainty, extreme-scale data analysis, and scientific machine learning. Many of the activities involve use of advanced computing systems at different levels of technology maturity from prototype to large-scale systems.
The Computing for National Security Group of the Computational Science Initiative (CSI) at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) invites exceptional candidates to apply for a post-doctoral research associate position in computer architecture, machine learning, and scientific computing. This position offers a unique opportunity to conduct research in emerging interdisciplinary research problems at the intersection of computer architecture, machine learning, and high-performance computing (HPC) with applications in diverse scientific domains of interest to BNL and the Department of Energy (DOE). Topics of specific interest include: (i) modeling and simulation of novel domain specific accelerators and/or memory technologies; (ii) data-driven/machine-learning-based modeling and simulation technologies and tools. The position includes access to world-class HPC resources. such as the BNL’s Advanced Computing Laboratory and other computational resources, and DOE leadership computing facilities. Access to these platforms will allow computing at scale and will ensure that the successful candidate will have the necessary resources to solve challenging DOE problems of interest.
This program provides full support for a period of two years at BNL with possible extension. Candidates must have received a doctorate in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field (e.g., electrical engineering, physics) awarded within the last 5 years. This post-doc position presents a unique chance to conduct interdisciplinary collaborative research in BNL programs with a highly competitive salary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and carry out original research in modeling and simulation of novel domain specific accelerators and/or memory technologies for scientific computing and/or emerging device technologies.
- Research and implement new solutions for resilient computing in distributed, data-intensive workflows in use at leading DOE experimental facilities.
- Develop, implement, and utilize data-driven/machine-learning-based approaches for computer system modeling and simulation.
- Collaborate with scientists within and outside of Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Develop research ideas into actionable research strategies and programs.
- Present research progress and outcome at internal meetings and external conferences/workshops.
- Publish research findings in peer-reviewed journals or conference proceedings.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field (e.g., electrical engineering, physics) awarded within the last 5 years.
- Strong knowledge and experience in modeling and/or simulation of domain specific accelerators, memory technologies, GPUs, and/or CPUs.
- Excellent research skills (e.g., evidenced by publication records in related fields) and strong research self-motivation.
- Effective interpersonal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment with researchers from different scientific disciplines.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in machine learning.
- Experience in scientific computing or modeling.
- Experience in microprocessor or system design
- Excellent programming skills, including for parallel systems
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is committed to providing fair, equitable and competitive compensation. The full salary range for this position is $68400 - $113250 / year. Salary offers will be commensurate with the final candidate’s qualification, education and experience and considered with the internal peer group.
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now