Postdoc Researcher in Machine LearningJob ID 3394 Date posted 09/16/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Machine Learning Group of the Computational Science Initiative (CSI) at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) invites exceptional candidates to apply for a post-doctoral research associate position in machine learning (ML) and natural language processing (NLP). This position offers a unique opportunity to conduct research in emerging interdisciplinary research problems at the intersection of data science, machine learning, and natural language processing with applications in diverse scientific domains of interest to BNL and the Department of Energy (DOE).
Topics of specific interest include: (i) novel development and adaptation of existing ML and NLP models, for scientific and security applications; (ii) exploitation of large frozen models (e.g. large language models) to support or enhance application-specific tasks, including via development of helper models and integration with external resources; (iii) multi-modal and multi-task large ML models; and (iv) interpretability/explainability and visualization techniques for scientific ML applications.
The position includes access to world-class HPC resources, such as the BNL Institutional Cluster and DOE leadership computing facilities. Access to these platforms will allow computing at scale and will ensure that the successful candidate will have the necessary resources to solve challenging DOE problems of interest.
This program provides full support for a period of two years at CSI with possible extension. Candidates must have received a doctorate (Ph.D.) in applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, or a related field (e.g., mathematics, engineering, operations research, physics) within the past five years. This post-doc position presents a unique chance to conduct interdisciplinary collaborative research in BNL programs with a highly competitive salary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research in various machine learning and natural language processing problems in the context of scientific discovery and workflow acceleration.
- Implement and adapt ML and NLP algorithms for scientific and security applications.
- Work in interdisciplinary collaborations with applied domain scientists on various aspects of scientific data generation, collection, curation and processing.
- Formulate own high-quality research ideas and directions in collaboration with mentors in the group.
- Communicate research progress, challenges and achievements, and engage within and beyond the group on new potential collaborations.
- Ph.D. in computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, or a related field (e.g., operations research, physics, mathematics, engineering) awarded within the last 5 years
- Programming experience in machine learning, scientific modeling, or scientific computing.
- Practical experience in implementing machine learning algorithms on machine learning platforms (i.e. PyTorch, TensorFlow, JAX, DeepSpeed, etc)
- Communications and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Practical experience developing novel scientific machine learning or natural language processing algorithms and models
- Experience in scientific ML applied to domain sciences problems (e.g., in physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering)
- Experience with large language models, prompt engineering, prompt learning (in data and feature space), and multi-modal large ML models
- Experience with Explainable/Interpretable AI and data and model visualization techniques
OTHER INFORMATION: (add if applicable)
- Moderate domestic and foreign travel
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now