Postdoc in Neutrino PhysicsJob ID 2795 Date posted 09/02/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The position is in Electronic Detector Group (EDG) in the Physics Department at BNL. EDG has great strength in the study of the physics of flavor and an extensive history in kaon, muon and neutrino experiments and recent research in heavy flavor physics with the Belle II experiment. EDG physicists have major responsibilities in several neutrino experiments: the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) and its prototype (ProtoDUNE), the short-baseline neutrino program (SBN includes MicroBooNE, SBND, and ICARUS), Daya Bay and PROSPECT. The EDG currently has twenty-five physicists at various career levels and a long history of research in fundamental particle physics. In collaboration with the Instrumentation Division, the group performs research and development in electronics, detector design, and event reconstruction for liquid-argon TPCs (LArTPC). In collaboration with the BNL Chemistry Department, the group performs research and development on water-based liquid scintillator and reactor neutrino experiments. In collaboration with the Computational Science Initiative we develop new software and computing to advance intensity frontier research.
The Physics Department has an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to take a leading role in developing next-generation LArTPC technology with cold electronic readout for both PCB and wire-based APA anodes for the DUNE experiment. Opportunities exist for participating and leading in various related research topics carried out by the group including involvement in current LArTPC experiments such as MicroBooNE, ICARUS/SBND and ProtoDUNE. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Leadership in developing next-generation LArTPC cold electronics
- Leadership in developing advanced detector simulation, automated event reconstruction, and data analysis techniques for LArTPC
- Furthering our understanding of neutrino oscillations and validating detector performance with data from neutrino experiments and/or prototype detectors
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- PhD in experimental particle, nuclear physics or related fields
- Strong programming ability and proficiency with modern program language such as C++ and Python
- Familiarity with detector simulation, event reconstruction, and physics analysis
Preferred knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience with noble liquid detector technology and tracking calorimeter technology (e.g. LArTPC)
- Experience with accelerator neutrino experiments
- Experience in physics data analysis (e.g. statistical analysis)
- Experience and/or interest in detector electronics
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years
- Initial two-year appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding
- May require domestic and international travel
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now