Post Doctoral Research Associate in Combustion Emission MeasurementsJob ID 2761 Date posted 08/05/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Energy Conversion Group is part of the Interdisciplinary Science Department (ISD). ISD performs research to help the nation meet its exponentially growing energy needs over the next century and beyond. Work within the Energy Conversion Group includes novel heating and cooling technologies, geothermal materials, and additive manufacturing. The part of this group that this position is in offers technical solutions to achieve reduced fossil fuel use in residential and commercial building energy applications. Our focus is on biofuel end use, combustion efficiency and emissions, and system concepts.
The work involves advanced methods for measuring air pollutant emissions from combustion sources of emerging interest. This includes real-time PM emissions from direct biomass-fired thermal systems and detailed emission characterization of heating equipment fueled with conventional fuels and emerging liquid and gaseous biofuels. Emissions will include real time total PM, organic speciation, black/brown carbon emissions and trace elements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instrument selection and work planning to ensure high quality results which can be used to update national emission factors
- In-lab setup of instrumentation, execution of planned measurements, and data reduction to generate emission factors Characterization of PM and gaseous emissions from stationary combustion appliances
- Participation in the preparation of presentations, reports, and publications
- Present results to the scientific community
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical, or Earth and Environmental Engineering or related field
- Demonstrated understanding of the basics of fuels, combustion, and processes leading to the formation of air pollutant emissions.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with air pollutant emission measurements, including EPA standard methods
- Hands on experience with instruments used to characterize PM and gaseous emissions
- Knowledge of dilution methods for accurate measurements of PM and gaseous emissions
- Programming skills and familiarity with data analysis software (e.g. Python, MATLAB, R)
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Ability to plan and carry out experiments to produce data for peer reviewed publications
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (one or more of the following):
- Capabilities with data acquisition and reduction tools
- Writing skills for technical publications
- Skilled in instrumentation used to characterize PM emissions based on size, number, mass, and speciation (e.g. Dekati ELPI, DMA/CPMA, CPC, NPET, SMPS)
- Gas chromatography—mass spectrometry skills for PAH analysis and understanding of EPA TO-15Solid knowledge of wet chemistry techniques used in EPA certification test methods for emission factor determination
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now