Post-Doctoral Research Associate for High Performance Computing and ATLASJob ID 1417 Date posted 08/21/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies.
The Omega Group at Brookhaven National Laboratory has an opening for a Research Associate to participate in LHC data analysis on the ATLAS experiment and to support ongoing software activities including Machine Learning and High Performance Computing. The successful candidate could be based either at BNL or at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participation in ATLAS physics analysis, specifically in the electroweak or dark matter sectors.
- Development of ATLAS software for Machine Learning and High Performance Computing.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in high energy or nuclear physics or in closely related fields.
- Experience with data analysis and knowledge of statistical techniques for data analysis.
- Experience developing software for high energy or nuclear physics experiments.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Physics analysis and detector performance studies with LHC data.
- Proven experience writing, debugging, optimizing, and extending large code bases typical of high energy and nuclear physics experiments.
- Experience with machine learning techniques and tools.
- Experience programming for HPC machines, GPUs, FPGAs, or heterogeneous devices.
- Ability to work in a large international collaboration.
- Hands-on problem solving skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The position is for an initial two-year term with the possibility of an extension.
- Domestic and international travel should be expected.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
Candidates seeking to apply must submit an electronic application to this opening. Your application must include the following items as a single Word document or PDF:
1) A letter of intent outlining your interests and experience, not to exceed five pages and
2) A CV including a list of publications.
Please arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent to Linda Feierabend (email@example.com) with a subject line referring to this job posting (Req# 1417).
The application is complete when all of these items have been received.
Consideration of applications will begin December 14, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor