Post Doctoral Research Associate BiologyJob ID 952 Date posted 02/28/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Researchers in the Biology Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory seek to unravel and fully describe the complexities of biological systems—from how plants make oils and other products to the role of proteins in disease. Our work helps to develop and makes use of the tools and techniques of biochemisty, molecular genetics, and structural biology. We also leverage the unique capabilities of Brookhaven’s National Synchrotron Light Source-II and Center for Functional Nanomaterials, major research facilities open to scientists from around the world. Our research makes important contributions to fulfilling the missions of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Basic Energy Sciences and Office of Biological and Environmental Research. In addition, together with the Collider-Accelerator Department, the Biology Department manages the NASA Space Radiation Laboratory (NSRL) at Brookhaven, which is used by radiobiologists and physicists to study the effects of space radiation on both living and non-living systems with the aim of protecting future astronauts
A postdoctoral position is available immediately under the joint supervision of Dr. Ian Blaby and Dr. Shinjae Yoo in the Biology Department and Computational Science Initiative (CSI) at Brookhaven National Laboratory. The successful candidate will conduct research collaboratively between these two departments by applying machine learning to data extraction from the scientific literature. The project also entails incorporating evolutionary and phylogenetic principles enabling accurate transfer of material associated with one organism/protein/gene to another.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Explore the feasibility of available computational architectures in combination with evolutionary principles for extracting cross-species protein functional inferences.
- Create pipeline to automate the process of extracting cross-species protein function inferences
- Design strategies to validate cross-species protein function inferences
- Develop web interface for platform interaction
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D in computer science, math, bioinformatics or related discipline is required. If not already graduated, then must be expected by May-June 2017.
- Strong programming skills are essential.
- Proven ability for disseminating research results by writing manuscripts and giving academic presentations.
- Candidates must be willing to travel in order to disseminate results and communicate with other scientists.
- Extensive coding experience experience as well as knowledge of biology/biomedicine.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work closely and communicate effectively with experimental colleagues.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to interact effectively with cross-discipline scientists and technical staff.
- A good understanding/experience of or enthusiastic attitude to learning machine learning and natural language processing (NLP)
- Review of applications begins immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Candidate should identify two publications that best represent their scientific accomplishments, and provide as part of their application.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.