Post Doctoral Research Associate BiologyJob ID 1632 Date posted 02/25/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Researchers in the Biology Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory seek to unravel and fully describe the complexities of biological systems—from how plants make oils and other products to the role of proteins in disease. Our work helps to develop and makes use of the tools and techniques of biochemistry, molecular genetics, and structural biology. We also leverage the unique capabilities of Brookhaven’s National Synchrotron Light Source-II and Center for Functional Nanomaterials, major research facilities open to scientists from around the world. Our research makes important contributions to fulfilling the missions of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Basic Energy Sciences and Office of Biological and Environmental Research. In addition, together with the Collider-Accelerator Department, the Biology Department manages the NASA Space Radiation Laboratory (NSRL) at Brookhaven, which is used by radiobiologists and physicists to study the effects of space radiation on both living and non-living systems with the aim of protecting future astronauts.
The Biology Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory seeks to fill a Postdoctoral Research Associate opening. The qualified candidate will engage in the exploration of post-translational modification, spatial organization, redox protein interaction of plant phenylpropanoid metabolism as well as their structural basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Investigate and identify strategies to continually explore post-translational modifications and protein-protein interactions of phenylpropanoid metabolism.
- Confirm identified protein-protein interactions or protein complexes and probe their biological relevance.
- Dissect molecular and structural basis for the recognized protein-protein interactions and protein complexes.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in plant biochemistry, plant molecular genetics, or related field (If not already graduated, Ph.D. must be expected within six months).
- Research experience in Plant Biochemistry or plant molecular genetics.
- Proficiency in the standard and/or advanced techniques of biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, and plant science.
- Experience in the studies of protein-protein interaction, protein/enzyme complexes, protein post-translational modification and/ or plant metabolite analysis.
- Experience in studying plant phenylpropanoid metabolism or cell wall biosynthesis.
- A proven track record of experimental design, execution and data analysis as reflected in manuscript writing and successful publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated track record of poster presentations and/or oral presentations at scientific meetings.
- Ability to think critically and creatively and capacity to work independently as well as collaboratively.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Membrane protein preparation and enzyme assay.
- Structural biology of membrane proteins.
- Chemical analysis and/or structural determination of plant cell wall components.
- Operating analytic instrument such as HPLC, LC-MS and/or GC-MS and performing data analyses.
- Review of applications begins immediately.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Competitive salary will be commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications.
- The initial appointment will be one year, with annual renewal contingent upon satisfactory performance.
- Research under the direction of Dr. Chang-Jun Liu.
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments may be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
- Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor