Post Doc: Molten Salts - Electrochemistry and Corrosion ProcessesJob ID 2341 Date posted 11/27/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
This position is part of the Molten Salts in Extreme Environments Energy Frontier Research Center (MSEE EFRC), a collaboration of three National Laboratories and three universities led by BNL. Our scientific mission is to provide fundamental, atomic-level understanding of bulk and interfacial molten salts, and the effects of molten salt exposure on metallic interfaces, with an aim to advance molten salt science as a foundation for future technologies such as molten salt reactors. MSEE measures and aims to predict the local and intermediate-range interactions and the structure and dynamics of molten salts in the bulk and at interfaces, including the speciation of metal ion solutes. We develop in-situ synchrotron and electrochemical techniques to understand interfacial and corrosion processes in molten salt systems. X-ray measurements will be integrated with modeling approaches: i) to provide fundamental new information on surface ordering and dynamics of MS; and ii) to understand and predict non-equilibrium, metastable states formed during the reactions at interfaces.
The post-doctoral research associate will be responsible for electrochemical and corrosion studies at molten salt (MS)/metal interfaces. They will also participate in collaborative research using synchrotron beamlines and will take a lead role in MS sample handling, electrochemical cell design, data collection, data analysis and interpretation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, fabricate and utilize hardware for electrochemical experiments and in- situ electrochemical synchrotron experiments.
- Participate in translating the experimental results into new scientific knowledge through the use advanced data analysis techniques
- Manuscript preparation
- Develop and maintain safe practices and working conditions
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, physics, material science or a related field
- Experience with electrochemistry, corrosion, materials characterization, experiment and/or hardware design
- Demonstrated problem-solving and troubleshooting skills in experimental science
- Self-motivated and ability to work in a diverse team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in synchrotron techniques (x-ray diffraction, reflectivity, spectroscopy or imaging)
- Experience in hardware design for electrochemical experiments
- Experience in handling radioactive material
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now