Physics Research AssocateJob ID 1989 Date posted 12/26/2019
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The C-AD Storage Ring Quantum Computer project has an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work on the development of a quantum computer using storage ring technologies. The particular focus of the work will be on calculations and simulations that support the design of a new kind of storage ring that is optimally designed to create ultracold crystalline ion beams.
This position is for a 2-year research project.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Working within the BNL Storage Ring Quantum Computing collaboration, duties include developing simulations of a storage ring lattice optimized for creating the best conditions to formulate ultracold crystalline ion beams. This will include:
- Evaluating methods of cooling ions down to the micro-Kelvin regime
- Developing models of the crystalline ion beams for Monte-Carlo simulations using different laser cooling techniques
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires Ph.D. in Atomic Physics, Accelerator Physics, or related area
- Demonstrated understanding of basic atomic physics principles and laser excitation methods
- Demonstrated understanding of basic principles in particle accelerator physics
- Experience with software development in a research environment
- Experience with developing computer simulations of physical systems
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills
- A record of working successfully with other scientists and engineers in an international community
- Research experience demonstrated through publications and/or presentations
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience working in a physics/particle accelerator research environment
- Experience with RF systems in a particle accelerator environment
- Experience with accelerator lattice design and design tools (e.g., madx, zgoubi, etc.)
- Experience with laser cooling techniques
- Extensive experience programming in Python
- Experience in high performance computing, optimizing code for performance, and writing code that is re-entrant and thread-safe
- Demonstrated ability to collect software requirements and design robust, high performance software with appropriate consideration of anticipated failure situations and future growth
- Experience working in UNIX/Linux environments
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Computer/keyboard work, mental concentration, visually demanding work (near/mid vision), hand dexterity
This is a two year term position and offers a comprehensive benefits package.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now